Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Robbie is in ICU with an infection

Yes, Sharon, he certainly is - and so are you!!

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    well Robbie still has the pic line and last week had an mri done to check the bone. today we got a call that they want to do a bone biopsy next week, I guess the infection is still in there. I meet with the surgeons Monday to get all the info.

anyone have experience with this?
    They can run a nuclear scan to see if the osteomyelitis has cleared. Its not invasive like a biopsy. I had one 20 years ago.

But of course like someone else said they may be checking to see if the antibiotics are the correct kind.

Hope this ends for you and him both soon. ((hugs))
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Never had a bone biopsy .. I'd be worried about disturbing bone that is already infected since it's so difficult to cure.

I've had bone scans and an MRI to diagnose as well as blood work and looks of wound (and drainage amount - a lot of sirrus fluid is a good indicator of bone involvement).

Probiotics every day without fail. Diet to increase the immune system. This really sucks and I so get it.

I'm happy to report I am infection-free and have been for quite a while now ... it is possible. This is someone who was facing amputation. My foot, while scarred and certainly not winner in any foot contests, looks good to me!

I love Robbie's attitude ... I'm so sorry he's young to have to deal with all this. It's not fair.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I can't offer any info but I am praying that you guys get a positive result from the biopsy so they can get a handle on this. Keep up the fight.

Yes, the biopsy is to determine what type of bacteria and how this can be treated. while they are in there they will clean out any infection. I'm hopeful this will just mean a change in antibitotics.

They're opening it up then to clean it out? That's good.

I thought a bone biopsy was a 'punch tissue sample' procedure. I've not had one so what do I know.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I thought that too about a biopsy but maybe they are doing both.

I had aggressive antibiotics like Robby and when that did not clear it completely, they shaved an eighth of an inch of heel bone off which took the entire infection completely out.

They would not do a flap surgery with any hint of infection.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

yes, they are doing both on Wednesday, cleaning him out and bone biopsy to answer some questions.

no flap surgery, they want this to heal from the inside out and they explained why so I am good with all of this.

how long will he be down? Being as active as he is that has got to be difficult for you...much luck, judy

Hope things start getting better for Robbie.

My 14 year old had a pressure wound debrided in February looked like a big crater and tested positive for strep G. Most of it closed but it was evident that it wasn't going to close all the way so she had flap surgery done on August 13th and is home on a Clinitron bed.