Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: CURE Activism: Unlock The Prison Of Paralysis

Originally posted by jimnms:

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
    Jim, this morning when I saw this number '20812', I smiled!

Here is a Brief Bio of mine for insertion in the www.cureparalysis.org. I know this one is very boring, I will see if I can write a better piece for substitution at a later stage:-

My Name is Suzanne Poon, 44 yrs, Chinese, residing in Hong Kong, China.

My son, Richard, Poon Hai, 19 yrs, suffered a complete spinal cord injury at T12 on 22nd March, 2002 as a result of a ski jump, leaving him completely paralyzed from his waist down. Since then he has become wheelchair-bound and I have become a strong advocate for spinal cord injury (SCI) research, in order to find a cure for him with the merest hope that he can get rid of his wheelchair and his standing frame; he can regain normal bowel/bladder/sexual functions and, most of all, he can stand on his own feet and be a man again.

Recently, I have initiated a HKU Spinal Cord Injury Fund. The main objective of the Fund is to raise seed money to support the China Spinal Cord Injury Clinical Trial Network headed by Dr. Wise Young, a world leading SCI scientist in the U.S.. Whereas the main duty of the Network is to develop the best combination of therapies to treat SCI.

Seeing that my son will be committed without parole to his wheelchair and standing frame for the next 50 to 60 years continually, I vow that I will contribute every breath of my life to collaborate with worldwide SCI scientists and concerned parties to work on a cure and to realize it at the fastest speed possible.

Moreover, regardless of whether a cure comes in 5 years, 10 years or is yet a hundred years away... I will never just sit still, doing nothing to help: I believe in a cure ... and we have wasted so much time!!!

Lastly, I understand perfectly well that no efforts will ever be wasted, my minimal contributions will add to laying down a legacy for our descendants to cherish and build upon.

Suzanne

Originally posted by pickled:

Pickled,

Thanks! I have finally come across your post!

Suzanne

im 20825

jennifer

I have had ALS for about 3 years and I am rapidly becoming paralyzed. As a lifelong Republican I will vote Democrat this year primarily because of the Bush Administration's policy on stem cell research.

Due to the good works of Nancy and Ron Reagan we have a great opportunity this Fall to capitalize on the exposure this issue has received. I belive that all pro stem cell research organizations (like those listed in Fayes May 5 posting) should coordinate and execute a huge national media event; we should stage a national "wheel-in".

Imagine a crisp autumn day in late October. Imagine thousands upon thousands of "wheelchairers", caregivers, family members, friends, scientists, doctors and politicians - all wearing the Pierce family "prison" T shirts - and all banning together in coordinated demonstrations in every major metropolitan area in the country! The media would have a field day and the exposure for our cause would be huge!

It seems like an awesome undertaking but with the help of a steering committee and the internet its very dooable. I'm willing to help coordinate Portland Oregon. Anybody else in?

Originally posted by bluecat:

I believe that all pro stem cell research organizations (like those listed in Fayes May 5 posting) should coordinate and execute a huge national media event; we should stage a national "wheel-in".

Imagine a crisp autumn day in late October. Imagine thousands upon thousands of "wheelchairers", caregivers, family members, friends, scientists, doctors and politicians - all wearing the Pierce family "prison" T shirts - and all banning together in coordinated demonstrations in every major metropolitan area in the country! The media would have a field day and the exposure for our cause would be huge!

It seems like an awesome undertaking but with the help of a steering committee and the internet its very dooable. I'm willing to help coordinate Portland Oregon. Anybody else in?
    I'm definitely in. I had wanted something similar to take place Labor Day 2003. NOW certainly seems to be the right time for it to HAPPEN!

Meantime check out the new www.cascr.org commercial out. The first frame features Jason and I!

http://www.cascr.org/temp/2/video.asp

"We have a chance to take a giant stride forward for the good of all humanity" in the next election. "We can choose between the future and the past, between reason and ignorance, between true compassion and mere ideology."- Ron Reagan Jr.

September 13, 2004 08:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

New Book Spurs Debate on Stem Cell Research - What are the Facts?

SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 13, 2004--Elsevier is proud to announce the publication of a new book, The Handbook of Stem Cells, edited by twelve of the world's leading stem cell pioneers, including Robert Lanza (Editor-in-Chief), Douglas Melton, John Gearhart, Irv Weissman, James Thomson, and Nobel Laureate E. Donnell Thomas. This two-volume collection devotes an entire volume to each side of the stem cell debate, embryonic and adult, and includes contributions from Christopher Reeve, Mary Tyler Moore, Sir Martin Evans, Catherine Verfaillie, and members of the US National Academy of Sciences, The Royal Society, as well as hundreds of other scientists, clinicians, and ethicists whose work has been instrumental to ushering in this fascinating and important area of research.

New discoveries in the field of stem cell research are frequently in the news, in scientific literature, and in the political arena as a key issue in the 2004 presidential election. Can stem cells really produce cures for Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease? Cancer? Diabetes? Heart disease? Or other such fatal illnesses?

"Stem cells raise the prospect of regenerating failing body parts and curing diseases," says Robert Lanza, MD, Editor-in-Chief of the Handbook of Stem Cells. "But provocative and conflicting claims have left the public (and many scientists) confused as to where things really stand. What technical hurdles stand between the promise of therapies and real treatments in the clinic? Tests of human adult stem cells in treating disease are encouraging and will certainly lead to more extensive trails in the future. Given much promising experimental evidence in animals, therapeutic trials of human embryonic stem cells are probably also imminent.

Noted Scientist and President of the National Academy of Sciences Bruce Alberts had this to say in his Foreword in Volume One: "...a collection of definitive articles by the world's experts... the research outlined in this volume is equally certain to contribute to cures for cancer and for a large number of other less famous diseases - many of mysterious origin - that presently represent terrible afflictions for humanity."

As Christopher Reeve writes in his chapter, "Moral and ethical questions have always attended the birth of new ideas and new technologies. However, the questions and concerns surrounding the use of stem cells have remained unresolved in this country for too long. It is painful to contemplate what might have been achieved if the nation had rallied behind the scientists (James Thomson and John Gearhart) who isolated human ES cells for the first time in 1998. Now we can only hope that the federal government will not impose a ban or that other states will follow California and pass enabling legislation on their own....Will the United States surrender its preeminence in science by effectively killing stem cell research, the future of medicine, in its infancy?"

This is the perfect time for the release of this comprehensive reference on stem cells. Over 300 experts present the scientific facts on both sides of the current stem cell debate. The Handbook of Stem Cells gives you the full story - and then some." Get the facts straight from the scientists and doctors who do the actual research. Please contact Sheri Dean for a gratis review copy, author contact information, or other details about this book.

About Elsevier

Elsevier is a world-leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical information products and services. Working in partnership with the global science and health communities, Elsevier's 6,800 employees in 86 offices worldwide publish more than 1,800 journals and 2,200 new books per year, in addition to offering a suite of innovative electronic products, such as ScienceDirect (http://www.sciencedirect.com/), MD Consult (http://www.mdconsult.com/), Scopus (http://www.news.scopus.com/), bibliographic databases, online reference works and subject specific portals. Elsevier (http://www.elsevier.com/) is a global company headquartered in Amsterdam, The Netherlands and has offices worldwide. The company is part of Reed Elsevier Group plc (http://www.reedelsevier.com/), a world-leading publisher and information provider. Operating in the science and medical, legal, education and business-to-business sectors, Reed Elsevier provides high-quality and flexible information solutions to users, with increasing emphasis on the Internet as a means of delivery. Reed Elsevier's ticker symbols are REN (Euronext Amsterdam), REL (London Stock Exchange), RUK and ENL (New York Stock Exchange)(NYSE: RUK) (NYSE: ENL).

Contacts

Elsevier
    Sheri E. Dean, 919-862-0673
    s.dean@elsevier.com

"We have a chance to take a giant stride forward for the good of all humanity" in the next election. "We can choose between the future and the past, between reason and ignorance, between true compassion and mere ideology."- Ron Reagan Jr.