Thread: India: Experts, spinal centre join hands for stem cell study

India: Experts, spinal centre join hands for stem cell study

http://cities.expressindia.com/fulls...?newsid=173406

Experts, spinal centre join hands for stem cell study
    First time in the private sector; modalities for collaboration being worked out
    New Delhi, March 11:
    In what can be called the first basic stem cell research in the private sector in the Capital, the Indian Spinal Injuries Centre, in collaboration with two international experts, has started experimentation on animals.

Dr Erkan Kaptanoglu, Associate Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Ankara Numune Education and Training Hospital, Ankara, Turkey and Professor Alfredo Gorio, Professor of Pharmacology, Director, Clinical Pharmacology IRCCS Humanities, University of Milan, Italy are joining the Centre in conducting this research.

According to a Centre spokesperson, the two experts have a vast experience in this field. ‘‘In fact, Kaptanoglu is part of a Turkish team which has started human trials in spinal cord repair,’’ said Major H P S Ahluwalia, chairman of the centre.

‘‘After extensive discussions with the two experts, we have come to an understanding to collaborate for stem cell research. “The modalities of the venture are being worked out,’’ said Ahluwalia.

The experts were in India to take part in the International Spine and Spinal Injuries Conference (ISSICON)-2006, organised by the Centre last week.

According to officials, India has one of the largest incidences of spinal injuries making it important to initiate work in this field through proper trials.

‘‘We have also sent Dr Harvinder Singh Chhabra, Chief of Spine Service and Additional Medical Director to Dr Carlos Lima in Portugal to explore options for collaborative work in this field.

“Dr Lima is internationally known for his work on using olfactory tissue for spinal injuries, both in animals and in human beings,’’ said Major Ahluwalia.

It's nice to see walls being broken down in the name of scientific collaboration.

By the way, where is Dr. Geeta Shroff in all this?

I don’t know, but I don’t think she is in the "nose" business (Lima)

All eyes for India. Great India. Keep it up.

Jawaid

Hi Roshni..
    Thats the exactly same thing that came to my mind when i read this article in the newspaper..

But oh well.. too early to jump into conclusions yet.. Its gr8 for a start that finally India has awakened about the SCI situation in the country. However i still feel India first needs some Excellent Rehab Centers for SCI as there are none that i know of yet..

Cheers,
    Mel

Quote Originally Posted by roshni
    It's nice to see walls being broken down in the name of scientific collaboration.

By the way, where is Dr. Geeta Shroff in all this?
    'CHEERS~N~PEACE'

May be within 5-6 months, We get better options for stem cells

Hi Pavel,
    I am very happy that India open stem cell center for research that will benefit many people.
    Pavel I somehow lost Sweta's thread, that's the reason I am replying here.
    You are right that raam is Indian name and I am Indian. You can send me e-mail me at anilgaglani@yahoo.com
    raam