Thread: Pressure reducing cushion

Pressure reducing cushion

I am currently on bed rest with pressure sore on my buttocks (ischial). I have searched alot of past threads about certain cushions and which ones work best. I have not had a seating evaluation done yet, hopefully next week. Are there cushions out there that simply have the ischial region of the buttocks cut out or missing to suspend this area? I have read on past post where people have rolled down individual cells of a Roho and rubberbanded them off so no air will go into that paticular cell virtually suspending that area of the butt?? Has anyone done this? If so does it work? I have a boney butt so trying anything possible to keep pressure off of that area. Thanks for any advice!

Quote Originally Posted by MNicholson81 View Post
    I am currently on bed rest with pressure sore on my buttocks (ischial). I have searched alot of past threads about certain cushions and which ones work best. I have not had a seating evaluation done yet, hopefully next week. Are there cushions out there that simply have the ischial region of the buttocks cut out or missing to suspend this area? I have read on past post where people have rolled down individual cells of a Roho and rubberbanded them off so no air will go into that paticular cell virtually suspending that area of the butt?? Has anyone done this? If so does it work? I have a boney butt so trying anything possible to keep pressure off of that area. Thanks for any advice!
    Ride Design cushions.

CareCure thread archive: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/search....rchid=15609964

I'm in the same boat as you. I had a seating eval about 2 months ago for a stubborn sore. For the eval, I brought along my roho high profile, stimulite contour and my old jay active. It was no surprise to me that the roho provided the best relief, ~1.5 psi. The other 2 cushions were about 1.5-2 times higher in pressure. I have to admit that I don't sit still for very long, which is good, so the pressure did fluctuate quite a bit, +/- 50%. It's funny that you mentioned the rubber band because while there, I had him tie off two cells where we thought the sore was located, with a rubber band and measure the pressure. It turned out that there wasn't much difference. I suspect I would need to tie off at least 4 cells to see more of a difference, which we didn't do because of time restrictions. However, I was quite surprise that by just leaning forward, the pressure at the ischial dropped significantly, ~0.5 psi. That's awesome because I lean forward constantly without even thinking about it. I do a lot of shifting side-to-side as well as completely lifting myself off the cushion.

I also got onto a bed in 3 different positions, (1) sitting upright, (2) flat on my back and (3) on my back with my one leg angled like an "A", the side with my sore. I do not recall what type of mattress it was. In position "1", the pressure was similar to the stimulite and jay cushion, 2.25-3 psi. To my surprise, position "2" and "3" were similar. The pressure at my sore was small, less than 0.75 psi. I would have guessed position "3" would have been the lowest. Because I was curious, I had him take his sensor pad out to my vehicle and test what the pressure was in the driver's seat. Suffice it to say I will be working on modifying the driver's seat when I'm doing better. It was the worse on them all, over 4 psi. We tried me sitting on a foam pad, but that didn't help much. In the end, I ordered a roho quadtro because my other roho was more than 5 years old. I must admit the quadtro is nice because I can put less air in the rear compared to the front quadrants, which is like the rubber band method. BTW, the guy said they like to see pressures less than 2 psi.

My negligence has costed me 3 month and counting of lost time. Over time, one overlooks the importance of the simple maintenance and it's a hard lesson to learn. I will definitely be more diligent in the future......at least until the next sore.

I got a ride cushion a few days ago because my butt is just too bony for anything else. My ischials are floating free when I sit. So far so good, but we'll see!

That spammer post is CRAZY!
    C7 ASIA C from Transverse Myelitis. Diagnosed on 12/19/09.