Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: service dog and other dogs in home?

service dog and other dogs in home?

I was wondering if anyone has a service dog with other dogs living in the house prior to getting a service dog?

I got a call from the service dog place I applied for last week and they want me to come out for training in 2 weeks. I'll be there for two weeks as well. Both of my dogs are very low energy dogs. I have a 12 year old Toy Fox & a 5-7 year old pit mix. I volunteer with my pit visiting a nursing home. Shes a certified therapy dog.

How did you introduce your service dog into your home?

The program will assist you (is it CCI?)
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    The program will assist you (is it CCI?)
    No, they had a five year waiting list minimum, and they will not let you get a service dog if you have other dog (s) in the home.

I'm going to work with a trainer over the next couple of weeks on introducing a dog into the home, but I talked to the person that service will place, and she told me to have them meet outside, go for a good long walk, and let the other dog before your dogs in the home first. Leave the leashes on, and see where it goes from there.

Do you have a service dog? And if so, do you have another dog or dogs in the house?

Yes, I have a service dog (my fourth). I have a chichi-wow-wa that has been vacationing with us for over 5 years.

I can't give you any professional advice as every dog is different and the chi-chi thinks he's a lab so introductions went quite well.

Intros should be done on a leash outside in case someone goes Alpha. If you have good control over your "pet" dogs you'll do well.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    Yes, I have a service dog (my fourth). I have a chichi-wow-wa that has been vacationing with us for over 5 years.

I can't give you any professional advice as every dog is different and the chi-chi thinks he's a lab so introductions went quite well.

Intros should be done on a leash outside in case someone goes Alpha. If you have good control over your "pet" dogs you'll do well.
    Liz... would you mind pm'ing me your number? I've got some questions I'd like to ask you. Hope you don't mind.

i have a service dog (a 20 month old black lab named weezie) and 2 pet dogs (a 9 year old viszla named cody and a 5 year old lhasa apso/maltese mix named manny).

when we brought weezie home for the first time (i lived on the campus if NEADS for 2 weeks training with her) we had my dad bring cody and manny in his truck to a local park and introduced them there, since it was a neutral place. they were really weary of her at first but after about a week, they started just acting like friends.
    now they all walk around the yard side by side and share toys and everything.

probably the most important thing is to not introduce them at your house. the first time they meet should be somewhere that your current dogs would veiw as their territory. a dog can feel threatened if another dog comes into their home that they have never met.
    mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
    type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
    aspergers & friends
    survivor of 2 TIA strokes

Quote Originally Posted by spasticXfantastic View Post
    i have a service dog (a 20 month old black lab named weezie) and 2 pet dogs (a 9 year old viszla named cody and a 5 year old lhasa apso/maltese mix named manny).

when we brought weezie home for the first time (i lived on the campus if NEADS for 2 weeks training with her) we had my dad bring cody and manny in his truck to a local park and introduced them there, since it was a neutral place. they were really weary of her at first but after about a week, they started just acting like friends.
    now they all walk around the yard side by side and share toys and everything.

probably the most important thing is to not introduce them at your house. the first time they meet should be somewhere that your current dogs would veiw as their territory. a dog can feel threatened if another dog comes into their home that they have never met.
    so did you and your dad meet at a local for a week and then did you bring all of your dogs to your home after a week?

no, i lived on the NEADS campus for 2 weeks which is in a different state. we would go home on the weekend with our new service dog.
    the weekend inbetween i had my dad bring the other dogs to the park and introdiuced them to weezie there and then they were kept seperate for that weekend. the next weekend when i came home for good we did the same thing, and after that, they just kind of became friends.
    mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
    type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
    aspergers & friends
    survivor of 2 TIA strokes

Since you are going for training very soon, it will be important to work with the trainers there to address this situation during training with the service dog you will be matched up with, so not only are the dogs prepared and understand boundaries and roles (as pet and worker), but that YOU learn how to work with and manage them, especially if there are specific/special things to consider re the working dog - given its role/function and its disposition.

I also had a cci dog, but no other dogs in the house. But the center/trainers were very good at addressing the individual issues and needs of team members, and working through and problem solving throughout training.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnypaston View Post
    Many people think they can just bring a new dog home and let the animals execute aspects out themselves. The normal pet proprietor does not have an idea about how powerful the inherited load up reaction is that drifts just under the fur of their lovely household pet.
    I haven't a clue what you are trying to say here. Do you have or train service dogs for people with disabilities???

(KLD)