Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help -- Removing a TiLite airless insert?

I am not sure about airless inserts but I removed my solid shox tires by using two pairs of vice grips and a flat head screw driver. It is hard to explain but as with all tires the hard part is just getting that first bit of tire off the rim, then the rest comes off. The great thing about solid tires is you can really clamp down on them with vice grips and not only does it give you leverage but actually makes that part of the tire thinner. Take the tire off the chair, clamp the vice grips about 9 inches apart and pull them toward you and down. You may have to put the screw driver (I wrapped mine in electrical tape to keep it from marring the rim under tire and then widen the distance between the vice grips.

All in all, I found solid tires too heavy and a pain in the butt. I now stick to normal tires.

Ouch! This seems way more than "Wheelchair repair woman" waaaaaaaaan'ts t do. BTW, my keyboard just screwed up with the "a", but I have to agree with it.

Maybe I will get my head around it all, and I definitely appreciate your suggestion. I think that probably it is better to keep the hand rim on. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I am not sure about airless inserts...
    All in all, I found solid tires too heavy and a pain in the butt. I now stick to normal tires.
    I agree, they are really heavy, and we won't be going for them next time.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    the insert is most likely the spray in foam which will have to be cut out and most likely the tire will have to be cut also

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    the insert is most likely the spray in foam which will have to be cut out and most likely the tire will have to be cut also
    My DME provider said that they saw them in half.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    My DME provider said that they saw them in half.
    yes, like I said, cutting it off. Cutting the tire off is the hard part. the tires have a metal strip around the lip of the sidewall. the foam is obviously easy to cut with a utility knife.

Look at the dish of the wheel. Taking the hand rim off may not gain you any room if the hub is even with the hand rim.
    I have put a bolt through the inside of the front caster for a friend of mine that is a hemi. He can steer with his good leg and push with his good arm. Lets him move around with a bit more ease.
    T8 burst is talking about a different tire. Solid tires aren't that hard to get off. But you said you had solid inserts and they are much more difficult.