Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really, really odd question.....

Really, really odd question.....

but I was just watching 30 Rock and Tina Fey is choking, but her bf doesn't know how to do the J thrust, so she throws herself over the edge of a couch and dislodges the food. That got me thinking. I live by myself. If I ever somehow managed to choke on food, how could I dislodge it? Eeeeeek. Scary thought.

Yes, thats what happened to Mama Cass, she was alone eating a steak sandwich and choked to death so goes the rumor.

But ya, I've thought about that kinda thing. Not sure what the solution is beside chew your food real good and take small bites especially with things like steaks.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by KiranA View Post
    but I was just watching 30 Rock and Tina Fey is choking, but her bf doesn't know how to do the J thrust, so she throws herself over the edge of a couch and dislodges the food. That got me thinking. I live by myself. If I ever somehow managed to choke on food, how could I dislodge it? Eeeeeek. Scary thought.
    LAWL! There's a scene in the movie "W" where Bush od's on a
    pretzel and has to do the same thing.

Just chew your food. You'll be alright.
    Last edited by Buck503; 02-05-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Had a Rainman moment.

You can do the heimlich maneuver on yourself if your backrest is high enough and you have enough arm strength.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Happened to me Kiran. I was eating & a tiny little piece of food went down wrong.
    Really scarey thing. After choking for 5 mins.. I can't cough! I looked around thinking about everything I saw. Then I wheeled up to the outer corner of my hospital table and had it poking into the spot between my ribs where they make a fist and do the procedure to you. I leaned over & coughed. After a minute or two it came up!
    Worked great! So find something in the room stable that won't slide that you can jam in that spot.

Also one time in bed I was sick & needed to throw up bad. I put my whole fist it seemed down my throat, but no gag reflex. I can't throw up. My stomach was rolling. I was sitting straight up in bed and trying to find something to put up to my stomach. Like you put a pillow but I couldn't find anything. So I started raising my feet with the bed control. I had both my head & feet as high as the bed would go. The pressure against my stomach was so strong it helped me throw up! So you could do that on choking too.

Hi Gang Scary
    After a trache surgery wound that was healing I was on a soft diet
    I had spinach of all things do that to me and it got lodged in my throat
    My hands dont work well & I dont like milk I Drank a sip of warm milk and threw up
    Coffee will do the same for me

Sinceerely ;
    Gypsylady

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Yes, thats what happened to Mama Cass, she was alone eating a steak sandwich and choked to death so goes the rumor.

But ya, I've thought about that kinda thing. Not sure what the solution is beside chew your food real good and take small bites especially with things like steaks.
    this is false. she had an uneaten ham sandwich next to her on a nightstand. she died of fatty miocardial degeneration caused by her weight and a history of crash starvation diets that weakened her heart. she had nothing in her stomache or her airway. her heart was a mess though.

oh my gosh ladies how scary.

I almost choked on a piece of meat once. I was able to roll over to the sink and grab some water.

I choked on a chess pawn when I was a baby. it crossed my eyes, and I later had corrective surgery to pull in the stretched eye muscles. I dont remember the choking. they did not know if my vocal cords were damaged or if It was brain damage, but turns out I didnt have much to say.