Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Heads and Pain

Red heads on my mother's side of the family. Mother always swore she's never had a headache in her life. I've always been able to take pain....starting with a bleeding ulcer at ten. It always seems to take the max dosage for pain to do any good at all. But I can't say I ever connected it to having red in my hair!

My ex-wife has fire engine red, long, curly hair.

I'm not sure how much pain she could take, but she sure could dish it out.

I don't know if all gingers are missing a soul...but I'm pretty sure at least one is!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Interestingly i'm brown on brown from a family that is mostly that way,but i have no reaction what so ever to any caine drugs or local anesthetics, however i am a positive Reactor Muscular Dystrophy patient which means when given most of the common gasses or halogenated ethers to knock you out for surgery every thing will go nice and dandy until i get to recovery and then i will develop Malignant Hyperthermia which in most cases is fatal, so Doctors have to have a really good reason to risk surgery and then must choose the anesthetic carefully so as not to cause the hyperthermia reaction and for all of you that are medically savy who are saying propofl i'm allergic to eggs so that can be used because its emulsion is egg based. so i have about 8 teeth that have broken off at the gum line and need to be delt with but nave not found a team of gas passer dental surgeon hospital and ICU who all want to come together to make this happen.

that's really scary! How did you find out you had it? Does one of your parents have it? I guess that's lucky in a way that you know, since most people don't know until they're anesthetized and have a reaction. Unless of course you've already had that experience.

for me what works best is a nerve block for surgical procedures. In addition to anesthetic issues I can't be sedated. I have the opposite reaction with tachycardia and dizziness etc. It's terrifying. I found out during oral surgeries as a kid. First they tried laughing gas. But then they said some people don't tolerate it and that's al the problem was. So for the next they tried iv sedation but I also reacted badly. I think it might be psychological though, like a panic attack sort of thing in response to the sedation.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I found out i had the malignant hyperthermia problem because the Hospital system that i get my care through is one of three in the country that is capable of doing the genetic testing for that syndrome and just as a routine tests all its MD patients for it rather than finding out when they are post op and there brains are cooking off at 115 degrees and they have no way to save them. And as to lineage no one in my family has had any of the diseases that i have,going back as far as we can came up with nothing my neuro says i'm a sporadic skip where for some reason in nature sometimes someone just ends up with something and poof they are screwed and thats me! although the youngest of three children all of my family has pre deceased me and i'm only 43 so what could have possibly developed later on in there lives is a mystery- i can be sedated BUT i have to be in control like i have had multiple cardiac cath procedures that went fine and then they started locking your hands down and once the doctor started who you could not see anyway he was down between your legs working on an artery in your groin they would put this hazy swirly foggy box over your head and after the started doing that i would tell them DO NOT i will freak out, so they sedate me think everything is cool and then lets sneak the box on him at which time i FREAK and the doctor always yells put him out! so they knock me out totally and unnecessarily, i usually wake up like four hours later in recovery saying all you had to do was remove the box dammit, but why listen to the patient.

i'm familiar with EDS you don't have a pleasure cruise through life either,how do you cope with your disease and the repercussions from it on your life??

Do you seriously mean this? I have been twice in the ER with urosepsis and they did not believe me because I did not look sick. It took a week before they called back and told my over the phone that I was very sick and had to go to the hospital the next morning.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Well i don't think we are typing to improve our typing speed,there are programs for that, what is it that you don't think we are serious about??

I have heard that som of us need more medication or less medication, but never heard that we feel less pain and don't get sick the same way as others.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    I have heard that som of us need more medication or less medication, but never heard that we feel less pain and don't get sick the same way as others.
    My RH fiancé says that pain meds do not work well for her and other RH members of her family.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    My ex-wife has fire engine red, long, curly hair.

I'm not sure how much pain she could take, but she sure could dish it out.

I don't know if all gingers are missing a soul...but I'm pretty sure at least one is!

My first ex-wife was RH and I sort of felt that way at times. But I have since discovered for sure that RHs have a soul.

I trust that many people question the soulfulness of their exes no matter what hair color they have. And then we get over it. Sometimes. Maybe. Well, it takes a while under the best of circumstances LOL.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.