Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Heads and Pain

Red Heads and Pain

I have always required more Novocaine at the dentist, I recently had a melanoma removed where they took out a big chunk of flesh from my shoulder and the doctor had to shoot a stupid amount of xylocaine into my shoulder before I couldn't feel the scalpel. She made a comment about redheads, and I am not a full ginger but my mom is and my beard comes in red and I have tons of freckles.

I wonder if there is any correlation with that and Lyrica and Gabaprentin not working for me. Any other gingers have positive or negative experience with those drugs?

My fiancé is Redheaded and requires more painkillers than normal. I think there is a correlation because she once told me that. She's pretty smart.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

There have been studies and articles written on this subject. Us redheads, (I'm auburn), require more anesthesia and pain medication.

My Ortho teases me because of the ordeal the anesthesiologists go through to put me under before surgery. He says, I'm a PITA knock out!!!

Pity is, I can't tolerate the pain meds regardless of how much it would take.

Hope you have a Dr that understands you may require more medication for pain! This may contribute to why you suffer so.

BTW, did you know we're, (redheads), a dying breed?

Hope you have a good night, T8!
    T
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    BTW, did you know we're, (redheads), a dying breed?
    Evolution is against us..

Attachment 45534

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Evolution is against us..

Attachment 45534

Yea, my first wife was a redhead. I could have sworn I was over it.

My fiancé say that redheads will be extinct in about 100 years.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

No, we can't be a dying breed. My son is marrying a redhead in two weeks, I bet they get children with red hair. He is darkblond but his beard is red.

I am more afraid blue eyes are dying out.

Anyway, I don't need more meds than others, I need less. But a redheaded friends of me need more.
    TH 12, 43 years post

The Myth Busters did a segment on this not too long ago and they came to the conclusion that the myth was busted… but I think the myth that gingers have no soul might be valid.

I'm strawberry blonde and my brother is a full redhead. I don't respond to local anesthetics and respond poorly to most meds. I could out drink male friends twice my weight without getting drunk, and I only drank about 1-3 times a year. When I've had general anesthesia they had a very difficult time putting me under and I woke up too soon (and fully conscious, not groggy) while still in the OR. There have been studies about those with my genetic disorder not responding to anesthetics though. Maybe I was doubly screwed.

I'm lucky in that I carry around a medical article about those with my disorder not responding to anesthetics. Its handy for emergencies or at the dentist. I've had friends who tried telling Drs they needed more but weren't believed. And I wasn't believed as a kid, I had stitches feeling everything and 3 broken baby molars pulled with full sensation.

I came across this
    There is some evidence which suggests that people who have naturally red hair may not be as easy to numb as others. The culprit appears to be a mutation in the melanocortin-1 receptor gene (or MC1R for short). Mutations in the MC1R gene lead to fair skin and red hair in humans. Unfortunately, they can also make local anaesthetics less effective (the same also appears to be true for midazolam, which is used for IV sedation, and for general anaesthetic). Life’s not fair !! So if you are a natural redhead, you may require a greater amount of local anaesthetic than people with other hair colours.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 06-30-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
    The Myth Busters did a segment on this not too long ago and they came to the conclusion that the myth was busted… but I think the myth that gingers have no soul might be valid.
    It would be interesting to see how they "proved" that. Pain and how people experience it is not something you can quantitatively measure like what the mentos to diet code ratio is optimum for peak spew trajectory.

all my ginger friends' doctors have stated this same thing. and redheads aren't a dying breed....
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/