Thread: Easiest manual chair for transfers?

Easiest manual chair for transfers?

What do people suggest as the manual chair that is easiest for transfers? It should still be usable for indoor use, but the main thing is it should be very easy to transfer into and out of.

I would guess one would want one that is on the heavy side so it is very stable, and has a wide area in the seat in front of the wheels so that one can slide over easily without hitting the rear wheels. Are those super-light chairs really as stable as heavier ones?

A low power chair, like a Jazzy, still seems a lot easier for transfers than the manuals I have seen. Are there manuals as easy for transfers as a low, flat power chair?

If you have problems transferring, just use a sliding board.

what's your injury level?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Putting a lot of dump in the seat can make transferring out more difficult. However, with manual chairs rear wheel location is dependent on COG settings and locating it for the best possible stroke. Chair weight is not going to affect transferring the way most people transfer. You really need to give us more info about your injury level, functionality, and the way you transfer to give you the best guidance.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Bueller?

Weight of the chair is meaningless for transfer. Footrest angle makes a difference. As you get closer to 90 degrees you can move closer to your transfer target but not everyone can be comfortable at 90 degrees. TiLite offers a flip up footrest that lets you get closer. Brakes are also an issue, scissor brakes are completely out of the way for transfers. Tight brakes and fully inflated tires are way more important than chair weight.

I looked at the TiLite flip up foot rests on the web, but I it seems like they would be very tough to flip up. I don't have the agility to bend down and reach the footrests themselves. Definitely getting near the target is critical for me, and also having a stable platform so the chair does not slide away when I make a mistake.

Normally I have no problem with transfers (T3). But when the surface is slippery (after shower) or there is a bad angle or slope to the target, or I'm feverish, I have problems. That is why I am looking for something really easy and safe to use.

I've tried transfer boards a few times and can't get them to work, something to do with the balance.

If you're T3, I'm not understanding why transfers are an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I looked at the TiLite flip up foot rests on the web, but I it seems like they would be very tough to flip up. I don't have the agility to bend down and reach the footrests themselves. Definitely getting near the target is critical for me, and also having a stable platform so the chair does not slide away when I make a mistake.

Normally I have no problem with transfers (T3). But when the surface is slippery (after shower) or there is a bad angle or slope to the target, or I'm feverish, I have problems. That is why I am looking for something really easy and safe to use.

I've tried transfer boards a few times and can't get them to work, something to do with the balance.
    How new is your injury? It sounds like you might really benefit from seeing an OT to learn some techniques... Do you have a DME where you could try several chairs with different configurations? The other thing I haven't seen mentioned here is cushion height. Try several and see what works best for you...

WG

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    ...A low power chair, like a Jazzy, still seems a lot easier for transfers than the manuals I have seen...
    Probably true for most who have limited strength/balance. That's because the manual chair industry can't figure out that a design that shifts the rear wheels backward, out of the way for transfer would be far superior. I wish I had the time and equipment to design, prototype, and patent one because it would be really simple.
    If a basic power chair like a Jazzy would work for you I'd just buy a used one. The are commonly available in good condition for < $500.