Thread: anti-inflammatory cream

anti-inflammatory cream

I would like to know a good anti-inflammatory cream that I could get to put on my knee. The one the doctor prescripted was $500. I'm sure there is some kind of OTC cream I can get that will help. I've been looking at icy hot and bengay, but I don't know if either of those are what I would need.
    Last edited by faith9778; 06-29-2012 at 01:21 AM.

What is the cause of your rash? What do you mean by anti-inflammatory?

(KLD)

I just looked at the prescription the doctor gave me. It is a pill called Meloxican. It is 15mg to be taken once a day with food. I haven't taken this yet since I have to take it with food and only once a day. I figured I'd take it in the mornings. This is a nonsteriod anti-inflammatory drug. My doctor also said that I can also take motrin for the inflammation, but upon reading the papers that came with this prescription, it says not to take any other anti-inflammatory medications such as motrin while taking this medication. I probably should just take the 600 mg motrin pills and forget about the ones my doctor prescribed. I don't know why my prescription was only 15mg for once a day.
    Last edited by faith9778; 06-29-2012 at 01:22 AM.

I was given two prescriptions for inflammation in my knee. One was a pill called meloxican. The other was some type of overly priced cream to rub on my knee.

Ice it, elevate it, wrap it if nec. Forget the other stuff, just more stuff your putting in your body. It will get better; try not to fixate on it.

Mobic is a long-acting oral NSAID, similar to naproxen (Aleve). It is only supposed to be taken once daily. NSAIDs include Ibuprofen (Motrin) which is shorter acting. All NSAIDs, taken in high doses, frequently, can be hard on your liver and kidneys. NSAIDs also increase your bleeding time and can put you at risk for stomach ulcers. Mobic is often used for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

If you take one NSAID, it is advisable to not take another one at the same time.

I would need to know the generic or brand name of the cream prescribed to advise you on what to use.

What is your actual medical diagnosis or problem that led your physician to prescribe this, or for you to seek medical attention?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Ice it, elevate it, wrap it if nec. Forget the other stuff, just more stuff your putting in your body. It will get better; try not to fixate on it.

Agree with this. Take the anti-inflammatory pill, but don't use an anti-inflammatory cream at the same time. Only one anti-inflammatory at a time like KLD said. Ice, elevation are great

Sounds like you have a bad bruise/contusion. After one of my Dad's falls his thigh swelled up huge and it took a few weeks before it went back down.

Thank you to everyone for the advice on here. I'm doing a bit better today.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Mobic is a long-acting oral NSAID, similar to naproxen (Aleve). It is only supposed to be taken once daily. NSAIDs include Ibuprofen (Motrin) which is shorter acting. All NSAIDs, taken in high doses, frequently, can be hard on your liver and kidneys. NSAIDs also increase your bleeding time and can put you at risk for stomach ulcers. Mobic is often used for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

If you take one NSAID, it is advisable to not take another one at the same time.

I would need to know the generic or brand name of the cream prescribed to advise you on what to use.

What is your actual medical diagnosis or problem that led your physician to prescribe this, or for you to seek medical attention?

(KLD)
    I fell on Sunday. I went to the ER on Monday and had both legs x-rayed and nothing was broken or fractured. I saw my doctor Thursday and he said the swelling in my knees was inflammation. He gave me the prescription Meloxican and some cream. I didn't get the prescription cream due to the price of it.

I have decided not to be taking any OTC medicines right now and to only take the Meloxican. I'm not even going to take the loratab pills that the ER doctor gave me. I haven't needed had to take a loratab since Tuesday because I haven't been in much pain the past couple of days. Now what I'm wondering if is if the Meloxican pills are actually pain pills. The papers attached to the prescription says it may cause drowsiness and dizziness which are common side effects to pain medication.

As for the creams, my dad brought over some of the creams that he had at his house. I now have IcyHot and thera-gesic. Neither of these have a lot left in them. But now I'm not sure if I should put any type of cream on my knee for the inflammation. I don't want to get too much of something absorbed into my body.

NSAIDs are pain pills, they relieve pain by relieving inflammation. This is how OTC anti inflammatories work such as acetaminophen (tylenol), aspirin, naproxen, and ibuprofen. So yes, meloxicam is a pain pill. As far as it being 15 mg, dosages change between medications so you can't compare the mg in it to mg in motrin dead on.

Was the topical prescribed called Voltaren gel? If so, its a topical preparation of diclofenac which is another prescription NSAID. I use it because I cannot take oral NSAIDs after having had a bleeding ulcer. Less medication is absorbed systemically and so there are less GI complications as a result. If used it shouldn't be combined with oral NSAIDs without discussing it with your dr to determine safe dosages so you aren't taking too much.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.