Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: intravenous methylprednisolone?

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    Day 2. Got in bed by myself last night about 9pm using my normal procedure...apprenhensive, but went okay. Slept until 5:30am. Got out of bed myself...again, not smoooth, but acceptable. Walked into kitchen with wheelie...slowly...but acceptable.

Made coffee...even got the cups and milk on my own. Stacked everything on my wheelie, and walked into living room, sat in my lift chair. Took my meds...zapped my legs with my EMPI...drank coffee.

So far...so good. And no paramedics!!! (Where's the "knock on wood key"?)

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. The only way to find out what's normal for you with these infusions is to have a few, and see what the pattern is. Since you can have good/bad days, that makes it tricky.

I would definitely take a PPI for the heartburn around the time of the infusions (like or several days). If you already have trouble with heartburn and already take a PPI, maybe you should take it twice a day around your infusion times and sleep on a couple pillows.

Is there any way you could arrange another emergency person/place to call rather then the paramedics? Or maybe you should have a lift system at home? Forgive me if those our inappropriate questions, but having the paramedics on speed dial sounds like not a great solution long term.

Has your doctor talked to you about trying Ampyra, to see if it helps your spasticity without decreasing your function?

Thanks for your concern...

I'm kind of using this post as a diary...so, 2nd day was actually better than first...we'll see if it continues.

I live in a town in Iowa with about 8,000 people...5,000 of which are students...75 miles from any "big" city. The paramedics here are actually really responsive, and as long as they don't have to transport to the hospital, they don't charge anything. So, it actually works out pretty well. I think they consider me "practice"...and, they know about my size and condition, so they send enough folks to pick me up. (I'm 6'-2 and weigh around 250...but when my legs go spastic, the strenght is remarkable).

I've tried Ampyra for 4 months...got up to the max daily dose, with no effect.

We do need a smilie for knocking on wood! So glad last night went well and that today is an improvement over yesterday.

Day 4. Yesterday was okay...noticed a bit of a "mood"...movement was "standard"...out of bed okay, in bed about 9pm okay....up in the middle of the night just fine.

Tried to get up at 4am this morning. Legs locked...had to call wife for help. No paramedics, but awkward. Movement acceptable so far this morning. Colace last night...prune juice this morning. Constipation doesn't help....

Maybe keeping a journal of what you're noticing would be useful - since this is to be a long-term pulsed course of treatment, over time patterns might emerge that will be helpful for your doctor to recognize. If you need to call the paramedics again, or if your legs continue to lock more often than before, I think that would be worth reporting prior to your next appointment. The next couple of treatments will probably give you a lot more information in terms of cause and effect, I would think.

Day 5. Yesterday I got my exercise hobbling back and forth to bathroom. Need to find a BP that's consistent but not urgent. I don't do urgent anymore.

Neuro actually called late yesterday. He said my reaction to the Solumederol was highly unusual. He suspects it my have just been a coincidence and happenedd to coincide with one of the "psuedo-exacerbations" I get. I agree it felt similiar, but certainly didn't last as long. We agreed to try another infusion next month and see what happens.

Went to bed fine last night...got up at 5am with some trouble, but made it on my own.

Sounds like you have a very conscientious and up-to-date neuro! What a blessing, to have a doc like that.

Day 10. Hmmmm. Perhaps, a very minimal improvement in walking. Hard to tell, because of other things going on.

My wife managed to do herself an injustice of sorts. Seems to have pinched a nerve in her back or butt. She actually went to a PT on her own last Tuesday...and then to our PCP on thursday. He gave her a shot of cortisone, and rxs for pain pills and muscle relaxants. She's been using a walker ever since, and is still in pain.

So, I've been taking an extra Zanaflex around 1-2am so I've can get out of bed without her help...so the minimal improvement may be the Zanaflex.

So sorry to hear about your wife! Hope she heals quickly.

2nd infusion Friday 8/3 - 9:30am. Day went pretty good. No noticable improvement in walking, but still managed to get around. Got in bed fine. Woke about 1am to pee. Out in bed with normal routine...not graceful, but it worked.

Slept until 6. Tried to get up...legs locked. One crossed over the other. Stuck. Wife is still in hobbling around, so she can't help. Another call to the paramedics. Got me out of the bed, into my chair in the living room.

No pain. Total spasticity in the legs. See how long it takes to go away.

I'll give it a couple days, but I'm thinking this is the last infusion. Lot of money for no results.