Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: intravenous methylprednisolone?

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    Thanks for the replys, folks.

July 5th, 9am.

Strange that all the nurses I've talked to in setting this up have asked questions like "when did you stop taking the oral predisone?". Answer is, I've never taken oral steriods. Did he skip a step? I know he has some concern that I do have heart disease (well, to 100% accurate, I had triple bypass in 2000, but no problems since) and he felt that SoluMedurol(sp?) was probably the right choice to start with...

Anyway, once a month for six months...and see what happens from there...

Nice scheduling.

The nurses administer steroids for lots of reasons, and probably don't take care of many patients like you. Probably most of their patients are rheumatologic patients who do take chronic daily steroids, so that is what they are used to. MS folks do not take daily steroids routinely at all. They didn't skip anything with you. The pulsing is the right way.

I hope it works for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by hlh; 07-02-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Is your neuro at the U of Iowa, WTC?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I did monthly IVMP for two years, with no noticeable positive effects on my MS. I did experience severe mood swings and later loss of bone density.

Blog Entries
    Three days of IV solumendrol screwed my ability to think and changed my personality for months, back in 2001. I don't know if the protocol has changed since then. An 80 mg taper of oral prednisone had the same effect, but only for weeks. A 60 mg taper did not bother me at all. But I am somewhat smaller than a guy -- about 115 pounds then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Is your neuro at the U of Iowa, WTC?
    Yes. But he's part of the traveling road show that visits our small town once a month.

I'm a little concerned by U of I doctors...their head MS guy was less than sympathetic.

So...first infusion yesterday 9am. No immediate reaction, and even did PT around 4pm. Just a touch more difficult than usual, but since I have good days and bad days, nothing remarkable.

Tried to get in bed about 9pm. Normal lift "good" leg with cane trick didn't work. Tried off and on until 11pm...called wife to come help. Slept until 1:30...had to pee...got out of bed okay...not "elegant", but normal. Couldn't get back in. Called wife again. Slept until 6am. Woke up with raging heartburn, and legs completely stiff. Had to call wife to help me up. Couldn't walk...legs spastic.

Another visit from paramedics and they put me in my wheelchair and got me to my lift chair in living room. So, I'm vertical...didn't fall...got my meds and coffee.

I feel pretty good...bit of a headache...I'll wait until about 10am and see if I can get to the bathroom.

Good news is...unlike Gabapentin which took all the strenght out of me...I still have power in my legs...it took two paramedics on one leg to bend it so I could sit up straight.

So...question is...call doctor now, or see what happens over week end?

In your shoes, I believe I would call the doctor's office to report what happened, and ask them how to proceed. They might tell you that your response to treatment is within the normal range for the first infusion, and to be patient over the weekend; or they might have different advice or other ideas to offer. I think it's important to keep the doctor in the loop, especially in the initial stages of therapy, as this is a new type of treatment for you and you're not sure what to expect.

Of course the doctor is out of the office until late next week and his nurse is off with another doctor at another outreach clinic.

The nurse I did talk with suggested I talk with my PCP...whose office is closed until the 9th.

So...I guess I continue to take my other meds and keep the paramedics on speed dial. I'll cancel my Home Health Care bath for today...no sense putting any extra strain on her.

I am supposed to have a meeting with my HHC Nurse/Case worker to talk about financing today. Of course BC/BS says I've "plateaued" so further OT won't help and therfore HHC Assistance isn't covered either, so if I want a bath twice a week, I'll have to pay for it myself.

Argh...

Geez! Nothing like continuity of care, eh? You'd think the neuro would have someone covering for him, at least. Under the circumstances, your plan to continue with your other meds - and paramedics on speed dial - sounds good to me.

That is absolutely awful about BCBS. What a system.

Day 2. Got in bed by myself last night about 9pm using my normal procedure...apprenhensive, but went okay. Slept until 5:30am. Got out of bed myself...again, not smoooth, but acceptable. Walked into kitchen with wheelie...slowly...but acceptable.

Made coffee...even got the cups and milk on my own. Stacked everything on my wheelie, and walked into living room, sat in my lift chair. Took my meds...zapped my legs with my EMPI...drank coffee.

So far...so good. And no paramedics!!! (Where's the "knock on wood key"?)