Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5" to 4" casters

5" to 4" casters

My ZRA2 currently has standard forks with 5x1" casters. The casters are mounted in the bottom hole (not sure why, you can see the marks where my DME once had them mounted in the middle).

I'm thinking about trying some 4x1.4" FL soft-rolls, based in large part on the recommendations I've read on this forum. I'm still a wheelchair newbie (coming up on 1-year in July), so I just want to make sure I understand the ramifications of this change.

Changing from 5" to 4" casters will drop my FSH by 0.5" -- is there anything else I need to change? I know I'll need to raise my footrest so it doesn't catch, but will I also need to drop my RSH to maintain my seating position?

What is the motivation for doing this? I have 5.x1.4 inch casters on my ZRA which replaced the 5.x1s it came with, works great. You will have to adjust your COG and dump to compensate. I like having 5 inch casters, especially for urban travel.

I wanted to try something that'd be a little easier to maneuver (or so I've read). I'm also pretty obsessed with streamlining my chair - the idea of a slightly smaller wheel appeals to me. I didn't realize, however, that .5" drop would impact so many other settings. I've also been wanting to replace my standard forks with unitines. Since my 5" casters are mounted on the bottom run of the fork, the unitine would drop me .5" (or 1" with the 4" casters). So it looks like I've got a lot of tweaks to make... yippee...

I had my chair spec'd out when I was only 2-weeks post injury (still in a TLSO and 6 broken ribs), so I just went with what the OT suggested. I feel like I've been playing catch up ever since. It's been a real PITA!

I prefer 4 inches as well (did I just say that?) for the look and performance, at least I do.

You can probably adjust your seat back up to offset the small amount in height difference.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I wouldn't adjust more than one thing at a time, then use your chair for a day to see if you need to make another adjustment. IMHO day-1) install smaller caster and raise footrest, day-2) lower RSH if necessary, day-3) adjust COG if nesecessary. When you're comfy, check forks to make sure they're vertical.

BTW I prefer 5x1.4 FLAHSR casters. The only reason I'd go smaller would be if I had a flutter problem.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Chasmeister makes a good point. One thing at a time
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

This seems to be an unnecessary obsession. Will they perform mildly better on hard smooth surfaces, probably; but it will be a trade-off and seems like a lot of fiddling for a little. I'd be more inclined to try the 5x1.4's, but we all have our preferences.

FWIW, I plan to go from my 4's to 5's next time.

Just my .02 cents.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Blog Entries
    I recently went from 4" x 1.4" softrolls to 5", and noticed no difference in maneuverability, but a lot of difference in the smoothness of the ride, especially over cracks and bumps in sidewalks.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I went from 5" to 4" and would never go back! The 5" hung up on my feet so much. I think you can take a half inch from your seat height of your ZRa and be good to go.

Pat

ZRa, FreeWheel

Quote Originally Posted by T4Gimp View Post
    I wanted to try something that'd be a little easier to maneuver (or so I've read). I'm also pretty obsessed with streamlining my chair - the idea of a slightly smaller wheel appeals to me. I didn't realize, however, that .5" drop would impact so many other settings. I've also been wanting to replace my standard forks with unitines. Since my 5" casters are mounted on the bottom run of the fork, the unitine would drop me .5" (or 1" with the 4" casters). So it looks like I've got a lot of tweaks to make... yippee...

I had my chair spec'd out when I was only 2-weeks post injury (still in a TLSO and 6 broken ribs), so I just went with what the OT suggested. I feel like I've been playing catch up ever since. It's been a real PITA!
    I got my first chair fitted in a TLSO, I ended up having to get an entirely new chair. I can feel your pain.