Thread: Joint Lube?

Joint Lube?

Not that kind of joint, you guys!

I'm talking like Glucosamine or similar substances - who takes what and does it help?
    I'm in this for the long haul, any help appreciated!
    - Steve.

I take a combo. I'm not sure if it helps or not, but I take it when I can afford it. With Glucosamine you want a minimum of 1500, 1000 for chondroitin, and 500 for msm. Those are the recommended therapeutic levels.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I take controlled labs orange triad multi vitamin that has joint support in it and their oximega fish oil
    orange triad multi uses glucosamine and chondroitin. I dont complain about my joints since I started taking these 2 together. I wish I knew about them back when I was racing motocross haha
    Last edited by Wills77; 06-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Omega 3s are a great natural anti inflammatory. You can go up pretty high dosage wise too. Pay attention to the DHA and EPA amounts on the bottle and not just fish oil mg when choosing. You can also add GLA which is an omega 6 (usually pro-inflammation) that increases the anti inflammatory effect when combined with EPA and DHA. Borage oil has the highest amounts of GLA.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Some info on glucosamine/chondroitin

I don't take these supplements, I have my doubts that they can help. Here is an article to consider.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...ucosamine.html

"The Bottom Line
    Chondroitin appears to be useless. Whether glucosamine is useful is conflicting, but the best-designed studies are negative. This usually means that negative evidence will eventually prevail. Decisions to use glucosamine must be based on information that is less complete than is desirable. In addition, product quality control may be a significant problem. Here's my advice:
    • The first step in seeking care for arthritic symptoms should be to obtain a competent diagnosis.
    • The next step should be to explore the pros and cons of treatment options with a competent physician.
    • If you decide to try glucosamine anyway, have a knowledgeable physician guide how you do it. Consumer Reports, ConsumerLab.com, or your physician can help in choosing the product.
    • Regard chondroitin as worthless.
    • Ignore any practitioner or seller who promises a "miracle cure" for arthritis.
    • Never buy a dietary supplement in response to a solicitation by mail or though s radio or television ad.
    • Shop carefully for price. The Puritan's Pride mail-order division, which has frequent "2-for-1" and "3-for-one" sales, sells products that cost only $4 to $5 per month. (Be sure, of course, to ignore claims the company makes for its products. No seller of dietary supplements, herbs, or homeopathic remedies should be trusted for advice on whether they are useful.) "

on the wedsite doctoryourself.com there are several articles on arthritis and treatment. even if your shoulder problem is overuse maybe there is some info that would be of use. vitamin b-3 or niacinamide comes up quite often. i have read that sulfur rich foods such as nuts and deep sea fish help but don't remember the why. i have been using the osteobiflex brand available at walmart but it doesn't seem to do much for the pain and my shoulders still sound like a ratchet wrench. hope you find something that works

i swear by the combo. i use gnc triflex or universal animal flex. i like to switch them up. remember you get what you pay for
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer