Thread: Cure for my father's back problem

Cure for my father's back problem

Hello Dr. Young,

My dad had Tuberculosis TB 40 years ago. He had a surgery then and recovered quite well. About 2 years ago, his moter and sensory functions on feet were impaired. Doctor said his TB relapsed and the impairment was caused the compression. Now he could only walk with the aid of a walker. We saw some neurosurgeons and they recommend a surgery to stablize the T10-T12 of his spine. At the same time, they addressed the high risk of the surgery. The recovery of neuro functions is not garanteed. My father decided to decine the surgery last year. He switched to GM1, which helped a bit, but not too much. Do you think we can try 4-AP? I know the trial stopped a while ago. But there is not too many options available. He lives in China. How does he enroll in the clinical trial if he is ok with that?

Much appreicated for your time and efforts to people who need help.

Monica

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaDing View Post
    Hello Dr. Young,

My dad had Tuberculosis TB 40 years ago. He had a surgery then and recovered quite well. About 2 years ago, his moter and sensory functions on feet were impaired. Doctor said his TB relapsed and the impairment was caused the compression. Now he could only walk with the aid of a walker. We saw some neurosurgeons and they recommend a surgery to stablize the T10-T12 of his spine. At the same time, they addressed the high risk of the surgery. The recovery of neuro functions is not garanteed. My father decided to decine the surgery last year. He switched to GM1, which helped a bit, but not too much. Do you think we can try 4-AP? I know the trial stopped a while ago. But there is not too many options available. He lives in China. How does he enroll in the clinical trial if he is ok with that?

Much appreicated for your time and efforts to people who need help.

Monica
    Monica,

I am sorry that your father decided not to undergo the surgery. In my opinion, he should have had the surgery. GM1 and 4-AP are not likely to help him. If he has compression of his spinal cord, he will not be eligible for our trials in China.

Wise.

Thanks Dr. Young. I didn't expect you got back to me so soon. Much appreciated. If my understanding is correct, the therapy to restore the function can only be applied when the compression is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaDing View Post
    Thanks Dr. Young. I didn't expect you got back to me so soon. Much appreciated. If my understanding is correct, the therapy to restore the function can only be applied when the compression is gone?
    Monica,

If it were my spinal cord and it is compressed, I would want it to be decompressed. At this stage, decompression may not make any difference in terms of restoring function. However, one never knows. It is possible that the compression is continuing to compromise the function of some surviving axons in the spinal cord and relief of that compression may restore some function. I would not decompress the spinal cord just to get into a clinical trial.

For our clinical trials to date, we have not specified that the spinal cord be decompressed. On the other hand, for the phase III trial, we will probably specify that subjects who have compressed spinal cords not be eligible for the trial for the following reason. Because the transplantation surgery will decompress the spinal cord and restore function, any return of function may be attributed to the decompression. Therefore, we will probably require that all subjects be decompressed at least 6 months before the join the trial.

Wise.