Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad needs glasses

Chad needs glasses

Wasn't sure to put this in caregiving or care, but Chad needs glasses. This is REALLY going to be a pain in the butt for him since he can't push his own glasses up when they slip, which they will of course (veteran glasses wearer here). We will probably try a headband to keep them in place, but of course those are somewhat uncomfortable too. He is very bummed about this turn of events, as am I because glasses really are going to be a pain for both of us (him more than me of course). And to top it off, he needs bifocals, but for a variety of reasons, that won't work for him, so we are buying two pairs: one for computer/reading and one for distance/tv, etc. So we will have switching of glasses to contend with too. We asked about Lasix, but he is not a candidate for Lasix. Wah.

On the other hand, I like how men look in glasses.
    Wife (8 years) to Chad (C4/5 since 1988), Mom to a Medium Boy, Owner of a Standard Poodle and a Pit Bull
    Blog: http://ItWasntFunnyAtTheTime.blogspot.com

There's a program here that does FREE LASIX for quads just for that reason. Can't believe the program is all that unique.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Wouldn't Varifocals work for him?

I'll add this link as they may have another name in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_lens

Sports glasses like the kids on our baseball team wear?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

It's more because of how he reclines in his chair when he types and in bed. He would end up looking out of the reading glasses portion of the lenses with watching TV, which would not work. And he moves his head around a lot with his mouthstick, so the "woozy" effect with moving your head and progressive lenses also would not work well (I have them, so I know of which I speak). So we'll just have two pair. And he is not a candidate for Lasix because of the nature of his prescription, not finances. Which is a total bummer!!!!!
    Wife (8 years) to Chad (C4/5 since 1988), Mom to a Medium Boy, Owner of a Standard Poodle and a Pit Bull

get hot pink ones for "revenge"? :P j/k mine always slip down my nose, so i just have the people make it so that's how they always are. now i don't worry about pushing them back up
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Hi Ami,

I also use two pair of glasses daily. In programming, I spend hours at a computer so I had me some computer glass made for a distance of 30" to 36". They do have bi-focals on the bottom for reading. For driving and other, I have another pair of glasses with the progressive focals on the bottom, but I do have hand usage. If he could use contacts, I worked with a girl that had reading lenses on one side and her distance seeing on the other. She would run into a wall occasionally until she got used to them.

Good luck to Chad and you.

Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    Hi Ami,

I also use two pair of glasses daily. In programming, I spend hours at a computer so I had me some computer glass made for a distance of 30" to 36". They do have bi-focals on the bottom for reading. For driving and other, I have another pair of glasses with the progressive focals on the bottom, but I do have hand usage. If he could use contacts, I worked with a girl that had reading lenses on one side and her distance seeing on the other. She would run into a wall occasionally until she got used to them.

Good luck to Chad and you.

Unfortunately due to the nature of his "sightedness", he is not a candidate for contacts either. I know what you mean about running into walls, I switched to bifocals about 2 years ago and I fell off curbs and stepped off stairs wrong for weeks lol.

This spring I had cataract surgery in both eyes. I have always been farsighted so I opted for farsighted lens implant in both eyes. Except for a slight astigmatism, I don't wear glasses for general vision.

I have a pair of reading/computer glasses that provide good vision in a 25-30 inch range which is where I read (everything I read is on a desk or table, not hand held) and is also the distance to my computer screen. I have a pair of distance vision glasses just to correct astigmatism. I wear these for watching television and going to movies.

I have a pair of bifocals with a custom flip up sun glass that wear in the van to be able to read stuff in the car and still see good distance.

Strange thing happened with the cataract surgeries. Since my injury I my pupils have not dilated well, even with chemical dilation during eye exams. My opthalmologist speculates that the neck injury also impacted the parasympathetic optic nerve that controls pupil contraction (a sphincter issue). In order to perform the surgery, he had to use mechanical pupil stretchers to get the pupil large enough to perform the surgeries. Once stretched, the pupil have remained a little larger than normal in indoor conditions. When I go outside in the sun.....toooooo bright by lots. So now I have to wear sun glasses all the time when outdoors. Lots of glasses, lots of fiddling.

If you haven't shopped glasses (I hadn't) recently, you will be shocked how expensive they can be, not to mention the choices of types of lenses, coatings, etc. I found a great source of frames and lenses at an on-line optical store. It is called Warby Parker (http://www.warbyparker.com/). Right now they only sell single vision glasses, i.e., reading/computer or distances vision. But, the prices are incredible and so is the service. Go on to their website and browse through their inventory. Select any five frames and they will send them to you for a five day trial (frames have "plano" lenses in them). After the trial, you send the frames back to them at their expense. To order, select one of the frames you tried, provide them with your prescription, pupil distance (your eye doctor can measure this or a local optical store can - Warby Parker will reimburse you if the store charges you a nominal fee for the measurement), pay for your frames and lenses by credit card and the kicker is the pair of glasses will cost you $95.00!!!!

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks for posting that GJ.

I was just going to tell Chad old age sucks LOL I have to get bifocals too. I am not a candidate for contacts either or laser. We must have like eyes....

The eye doc said it starts around 40 when you start needing the bifocals.

Hopefully will rock this challenge too Ami.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown