Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York?

I live in Eastern CT and have been to NYC twice. First time I drove to Hartford and took Peter Pan bus from Hartford (bus had a wheelchair lift). Second time I drove to East Haven and took commuter train into NYC. Train tickets are 1/2 price for wheelies. I found the train way easier and faster, worth the extra drive in the beginning.

Statue of liberty and Elise island worth it, same boat ride. Don't buy extra tickets for statue crown or pedistal visits...not accessible. There is a shorter accessible line for statue ferry, security similar to airports so own line. Wheelchairs are first on and first off ferries and staff stops ALL other people to let you get through safely. They even tried to stop my mom.

The subway Sucks...stick to buses or sidewalks.

I had a friend come in from Europe who was in for a 2 week long accessible stay in NY and found accommodations thru AirBnB. Very pleased with the place and the price. I am sure there are enough peeps here from the NY area to tour you around if you want. Despite rumors we ARE a nice breed of people. Good luck!

I have been to the Empire State both disabled and able-bodied. Able bodied, I stood in line for hours. Disabled, they rushed me ...and my 3 companions...through every line. Within 5 minutes of arrival, I was at the top. Once there, I found that all good spots were taken. Out of nowhere, an employee shows up and tells some folk to move, and gets me a great sightseeing spot. It was unbelievable.

Thanks for the advice everyone. We will be there next week so if anyone wants to be a tour guide or say hello let me know. I am looking forward to meeting sjean finally
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Yup, most of my experience w/ nyc is putting my kids on a train in new haven, lol. We are going to wing it I think.

T7-8 since Feb 2005

Statue of Liberty, we jump lines.

Jake LOVED NYC at 13. Have a blast!

I am thinking that will be our first choice ..... we will see a lot just in the process, then play it my ear.

Any more thoughts? I don't know NYC either, lol.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005