Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York?

New York?

I have an opportunity to do some work in Connecticut. I would like to use that chance to take my kids over to tour NY and see the Statue of Liberty and everything else we can manage.

I need help. I have traveled a lot but I feel intimidated going here alone with 2 kids. Could someone help me figure out where to stay that will be safe but not terribly expensive and where to go? I have no idea where anything is. What should we see? How should we get there?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

you can take a train from connecticut to nyc depending on where you are, i believe (i know there is a line from new haven to nyc)

how old are your kids? empire state bldg is great also maybe hook up with a few cccers in nyc?
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

15 and 11
    Meet ups are a possibility but I know we will be rushed and unorganized. I will be in Hartford, CT
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    15 and 11
    Meet ups are a possibility but I know we will be rushed and unorganized. I will be in Hartford, CT
    those are good ages to be out in nyc with you. i'm sure they'd enjoy the empire state building and the statue of liberty (you take the ferry there and i found it to be ok but i really hate boats!)

you can check to see if there is a train from hartford to nyc. street food is soo tastey in nyc!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Since you'll be traveling without a car I think it would be best to find a hotel that's located within short distance to a wheelchair accessible subway station. I would advise against hotels in the Times Square area for several reasons: cost and insanity (way too many people -- all tourists, so it's not really the New York experience).

Here's the link to a recently renovated hotel just a few blocks from where I live. I called them and was told that they have a wheelchair accessible room. Without knowing your exact travel dates it's not possible to get the exact overnight rate, but I think it's around $209.

As for attractions:
    1) The Empire State Building (wheelchairs cut the line)
    2) Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan. You will pass by the Statue of Liberty, which is better than going to visit it, IMO. A trip to Ellis Island Immigration Museum (which passes by Lady Liberty may also be of interest).
    3) A visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, arguably the world's greatest museum, is a must. Admission cost is whatever you're willing to offer -- or the full suggested price. No one is turned away. The Met is on the east side of Central Park, so you can walk around and get lost in there and have a good time.
    4) For entertainment there's everything on Broadway, though getting tix to hot shows like Book of Mormon requires planning and is not inexpensive. If you're on a budget you should check out the "independent" theater productions at 59. E. 59th St. where's there's a good chance you'll find something interesting and not overly inexpensive.
    5) 9/11 Memorial down in the Wall Street area.
    6) You can take the subway to Coney Island in Brooklyn and your kids can check out the famous Cyclone roller coaster. You can ride, too, if you don't mind a bumpy ride.

All of the buses are accessible and the subways are as well. Wheelchair accessible subway locations are limited but many located near the touristy areas have elevators.

Tons more stuff to do. It is the center of the world, you know.

For theater tickets, don't forget you can get rush tickets for certain shows at the last minute.

And you can take a train from New Haven to Grand Central, for under $20. From Hartford to Penn Station is around $40. There may be accessibility discounts.

(This info for the thread, as we have already discussed it, lol)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks everyone. I am considering all the options. I am really glad to have somewhere to start! I was very overwhelmed.

I grew up just outside nyc. till i was 27. Spent alot of time in the city. From connecticut you can take the metro north - new haven line into grand central.. As far as things to do.
    -museum of natural history(central prk west/79st)
    - go up to top of empire state building(great views)(34th/5th)
    - go to the Intrepid mesuem(W46ST/hudson rvr)..old aircraft carrier. the space shuttle will be there starting mid july
    - check out a play
    - experience times square(42nd,43rd,44th/7th)
    - go to the village(greenwich village)..go to washington sq park,sit at the fountain..see the eclectics
    - go to soho(which means-south of houston(pronounced house-ton) and you have soho/little italy/chinatown all next to each other
    - go across canal st and youll get to each
    - canal st has lots of shopping (its ALL knockoffs!). those arent real gucci bags or prada sunglasses, but they look good and are priced good.
    - eat in little italy!(ok im italian so im biased) but its gooood!..great pastry shops for a snack
    - go visit world trade center memorial downtown
    - go to south st seaport(dining/shopping)

as far as hotels, i dont know. i always just hoped in the car and drove home.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Hello, Christy. You probably don't have time for this, but I'll throw it out there anyway.
    You and the kids can take an Amtrak train to New Haven and a Metro-North train from NH to Bridgeport (Connecticut's largest city). The Bridgeport train station is a couple of hundred yards from the ferry terminal. The ferry can take you across Long Island Sound to Port Jefferson, Long Island, a quaint little village with a lot of restaurants and all the usual tourist traps.

I can meet you at the ferry terminal.

Your first priority though is to get to New York City, which is about 100 miles from Hartford and 35 miles from my home in Stamford.

Have a nice and safe trip whatever you decide to do.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/

http://grandcentralterminal.com/
    http://www.bpjferry.com/
    http://www.amtrak.com

i just got back from NYC about 2 months ago... I stayed in Brooklyn, wasn't as bad as people say it is. I basically took the bus then subway to Manhattan everyday (30min or less), it was fabulous and cheap.

i used airbnb and found a room for $80/night, wheelchair accessible. bought a week transit pass for $30 for 2 people, and enjoyed NYC to the fullest. just need to do some homework and get an NYC app for your phone.

ask if you need more details.
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."