Thread: spine injury

spine injury

My Younger brother who is 25 year has met with an accident and has damaged his spine nerves at T1 (compression)

He had also fractured his back bone from the d1 and d2 section .

The DOC have operated him and fixed his bone .

Accident happened on 02 Jan 04 evening the operation was done in
    Delhi -India on (07 /Jan/ 04)

But because of the spine damage he is unable to move his legs ,he is also
    not able to feel/control his urine and stool .i.e. below the chest he is not
    feeling anything

PLEASE I WOULD LIKE U TO HELP AND GIVE SUGGESTION HOW THE RECOVERY OF THE
    SAME IS POSSIBLE

Hello Mohit, I'm glad you found our site, welcome. Most significant recovery occurs within the first two years of an injury but it is possible to regain sensation and/or movement many years thereafter.

[This message was edited by seneca on 04-17-04 at 08:01 PM.]

Sorry to tell you Bro...but your brother has been introduced the world of Spinal Cord Injury HELL!

I just turned 27..Had a motorcycle accident when i was 24.....

THIS SHIT SUCK REAL BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope your brother & people like me can be cured from this hell one day!!!!!!!

mohit,

It sounds as if your brother has had a high thoracic spinal cord injury and that it is a severe injury that has left him with little or not function below T2. Let me first address what you should expect in the coming months. Recovery is slow after injury, often returning many months and even years after injury. For example, he should expect a descent of his sensory level (the level where he has loss of sensation) to T4 (his nipples) or even lower to umbilicus (T10). He should also expect to see improvement in his truncal support (his ability to balance his trunk). The first return tends to be in the segments close to the injury. A small percentage (perhaps 5%) of patients get back function in their legs and even their bowel and bladder. I hope and assume that your brother received high doses of a drug called methylprednisolone within the first 8 hours after injury because this drug improves recovery by about 20% percent.

Many therapies have been shown to regenerate the spinal cord and improve recovery of the spinal cord of animals. Some of these have gone to clinical trial and evidence is emerging that some of these therapies are restoring a modest amount of function. Most of these therapies are aimed at chronic spinal cord injury >1 year after injury: olfactory ensheathing glia, fampridine, bone marrow stem cells, weight-supported ambulation training. Some are aimed at subacute spinal cord injury (<2 weeks): activated macrophage transplants, alternating electrical current, pig neural stem cells, human fetal neural stem cells. I want to emphasize that these are all therapies in clinical trial and are not proven therapies. There are many experimental treatments including peripheral nerve bridges and other approaches that being carried out in various countries outside of the United States. In addition, there are many other therapies that have been shown to be regenerative or remyelinative in animals. Hopefully, these will go into clinical trial soon.

In the meantime, you have to help your brother achieve the following:

1. Make sure that he is turned frequently and does not develop pressure sores.

2. Make sure that he does not get deep vein clots in his legs; these are dangerous if these break off and go to the lung.

3. Make sure that he establishes bladder (i.e. intermittent catheterization) and bowel routines that work well without causing infections.

4. Get you brother standing (standing frame). If possible, he should be swimming.

5. Make sure that his home and work site is accessible.

6. Spend a lot of time with him. People tend to go through a period of grieving and depression, particularly during the first year after injury.

7. Give him hope. Tell him that there is hope and that many people are working hard to find and test therapies to restore function. Some of these therapies are beginning to go into clinical trial. There does not appear to be a time window for these therapies and therefore he does not have to rush to partake in these therapies. He needs to understand the therapies, their potential risks and benefits. Finally, tell him that it is not a matter of if there will be a cure but a matter of time. In the meantime, he must take care of his body and not allow it to deteriorate.

Wise.

I have a question for Dr. Young, could you please tell me how you are associated with Dr. Huang? Do you work with him? Also I have been trying to get response from him from a message I posted on a different thread, do you know how long I should expect to wait, I realize he is an extremely busy man. I am just anxious to get his advice, I have a patient that is interested in his procedure.

Thanks

Originally posted by country girl:

I have a question for Dr. Young, could you please tell me how you are associated with Dr. Huang? Do you work with him? Also I have been trying to get response from him from a message I posted on a different thread, do you know how long I should expect to wait, I realize he is an extremely busy man. I am just anxious to get his advice, I have a patient that is interested in his procedure.

Thanks

Tell your brother that he must blieve in himself, and believe that he will walk...he should even believe that he is amongst the walking and that this is but a temporary state. Those who argue that this is a hell, I feel, are way off base...hell would be a lot worse (I suspect)...However, he should appreciate those with a negative outlook and use that energy to drive him to his cure...