Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Pain Doc Found NOT GUILTY

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    This is a problem that has interested me for some time. I don't like pharmaceutical drugs of any type and only take them as a last resort. Maybe that is why I've never experienced any problem getting any drug that I wanted. But I am aware of multiple complaints from people who say that they cannot obtain the pain medication they need.

I've always strongly felt that people in pain should have the option of drug medication without hassle. I do believe that it's important for a physician to monitor any drug regiment to ensure that it remains therapeutic.

It's also true that some docs are engaged in drug trafficking. The "pill mills" in Florida are notorious and attract customers from distant states. Observing the devastation of several lives where prescription pain medication played a major role, I'm concerned that some licensed physicians facilitate the distribution of these powerful drugs to anyone who has the cash without true concern for the medical outcomes.

So, where is the balance point?

I'm curious to understand on what evidence this doctor ran afoul of the law? As we know, a prosecutor can "indict a ham sandwich." We also know that criminal prosecutions sometimes have ulterior motives. I'm glad that this doc was found not guilty. Yet we know that this verdict doesn't clean the slate and even the accounts. We also know that not every "not guilty" verdict is rendered because the defendant is
    "innocent."
    The doctor was the first pain and rehab doctor in Fort Myers. She had many long term pain patients with severe pain issues. The government thought she was prescribing too many pills to eight specific very long term patients. The charges were based on the complaints of two pharmacists who thought the drugs she was prescribing for those eight patients were too high. But, the government brought "pain pill" charges as well and characterized it as part of their "pain pill crack down" in the media.

Of course, the drug stores are scared to death because the government has brought complaints against many of them, including Walgreens and CVS, and has put the responsibility of monitoring doctors on the professional laps of the pharmacists.

I went to her on the recommendation of my long time personal doc. She was always very conservative with me and everyone else as far as I could tell. She has the largest SCI patient base in Fort Myers, as far as I know. In three years, I never saw any evidence whatsoever of a "pill mill." I felt so strongly about what she did for me and how well she treated me that I wrote letters to the state medical board and was ready to testify as to my experience with her and my observations of her practice and office over those three years.

But, after a year of characterizing their case against Dr. Roggow as a "pill mill" case, the government only brought evidence relating to the eight patients and their allegations of wrongdoing relating to those eight patients. Thus, the defense counsel was not able to bring other patients in as witnesses.

I thought it was shitty of the Feds to act like it was a "pain pill case."

Yes, sometimes guilty people are found not guilty. I totally believe Dr. Roggow was not only not guilty but that she was innocent. You would have to know her and how she practiced to understand.

I hate the drugs, but my pain is such that I cannot have a life without them. I have no problem taking the drugs when the only other choice is a completely shitty life. Now at least I can cope with the remaining pain I have, at least much of the time. So, for that, I thank Dr. Roggow.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

We'll lose the few good doctors we have if they keep having witch hunts. It all comes back to ignorance of the chronic pain and neuropathy. I hate having to take drugs. I don't enjoy the stigma.....being treated like a drug addict. I would think all the feds would have had to do is read the medical records! Mine include tests such as EMG's that show nerve and muscle damage! Testing that my pain clinic advices you to get! I got mine through my neuro surgeon. He's had me do one every two years. Shows the progression of the Peripherial Nerve Disease.....shows chronic and severe. They're just looking at the meds being taken, not for the reasons.

I hope the doctor continues treating pain and does'nt stop because of all of this. I'm sure there will be a lot of people left hanging with nothing if this happens..... with so many afraid to even treat us!

See the problem is Dr.Roggow could put her white coat on again and pick up and go on but every single other doctor who ever prescribed anything stronger than Vicodin has now turtled and will not write for anything for anybody anytime even their own Mother , for fear that the next innocent witch hunt will be against them, thats the thing about these hunts is innocent or guilty it costs the doctor time money his insurance goes up and the government shows its the Alpha and all those Doctors are not and the next one could be them and paranoia takes over and does the rest, and with the pharmacies overmatching the doctors they are paranoid on their level as well and they are ready to squeal on a Doctor to make sure they don't get jammed up,they are creating an atmosphere of everyone is afraid of everyone else and the part they play in the system of delivering medication.

These Witch Hunts as you call them are because of patients abusing / selling prescription medicines on streets also it is not 100% Dr's Fault

people passing around a simple pill makes a tidal effect in the long run

substance abuse is on the rise

Not all Dr's are weak or bad for being Strict I do not blame them

GL no you are right there are patients that divert pills and that makes my skin crawl because they think a couple here or there won't hurt anything but if a lot of patients think that way, and it takes off like wildfire and becomes a monster.

I personally am way overprotective of my medication i keep it in a safe( i am the only one that can open it) except what i am using the box for my Patches gets burned at a friends farm two towns away and the plastic pouches from the patches them selves are disposed of at the Hospital. My Pills come on cards which are also burned at the farm, so if someone went thru my garbage they would never know i take opiates at all, and of course there are only a very select few people close to me who know that i take them.

Even my Pain Management Doctor believes i go to Extremes to protect the fact that i take them and to keep them from being able to being "dipped Into" by someone visiting my home, but My Wife was a pain patient when i married her and became an addict so i know what addicts do !

I get nasty on Dr's just because i had one that despite 6,000 pages of records and a 4hr discussion with the doctor he was replacing about nothing but me in the first week of his being in the office i needed a script rewritten because my DME was slow and now needed it with his signature rather than my previous doctor because she had surrendered her license in P.a. in order to get one in her new state of employment and he refused it was a medical pillow and in order to get my insurance to cover it i had to have a script,that was #! #2 was he decided without ever seeing me despite my mountain of records despite being with the doctor he replaced for 9 years and working the pain pyramid and despite the 4 hr discussion i was a drug addict and i was cut off and fired from the practice and since he could be covering for any doctor in the hospital i was fired as a patient from there also with a digitally signed letter meaning there was no ones actual signature on the letter.

So thats why i have a thing for Doctors. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    people passing around a simple pill makes a tidal effect in the long run

substance abuse is on the rise

Not all Dr's are weak or bad for being Strict I do not blame them
    It really isn't that hard to figure out that someone who has a SCI could very well have chronic pain and need some medication to make their life tolerable. Does a SCI at least get you in the door to see a pain management doc and explain your problem? The answer is no. That's not right.

There is no doubt that pain pill mills are a real problem, but the government and various agencies have created an atmosphere of paranoia that is unacceptable. My own personal doc, a friend for over 20 years and someone who absolutely knows that I do not abuse the drugs, told me that he could not prescribe me pain pills for more than one month....when Dr. Roggow's practice was shut down. He just couldn't take the risk of all of the BS going around. I did not blame him or ask him to do more than he could (even though I was having a very hard time finding a pain doc who would see me), but that still is not right.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.