Thread: best wheel-chair bike ATTACHMENT?

best wheel-chair bike ATTACHMENT?

I like those hand cycles,
    has anyone tried the ones that connect onto the chair?
    there seems to be a few products out there

like this one; http://riomobility.com/en/dragonfly/index3.htm

Quote Originally Posted by diaspora View Post
    I like those hand cycles,
    has anyone tried the ones that connect onto the chair?
    there seems to be a few products out there

like this one; http://riomobility.com/en/dragonfly/index3.htm
    I have not tried the Rio but have had a cyclone attachment that sunrise medical used to make which I got back in 1993 and I still use it today. I have other bikes but use the attachment the most because there is no transfer involved. It is an old one and has 24 gears as well as a two speed hub. There are pros and cons to just about any bike but if I could only have one it would be the attachment...

Hi!
    I tried the Dragonfly several years ago and had to send it back. I found it very difficult to set up the attachment spots to the front tubes of my chair, and it was heavy for me to try to manipulate it into place. If you have good strength this may not be an issue for you.

I have seen similar devices on YouTube that may be foreign-made. I noticed that they appeared to have a fold-away stand so that the wheelchair user could simply roll up to it and more easily attach it without having to muscle it in place.

If I stick around for several more years surely someone will invent a very easily-attached peddler for a manual chair. I'd love to try again.

Quickie shadow 24 speed. I used to hall it around in my htachback car and pull it out at lunch time and go riding. I made my front wheels quick-release to increase ground clearance on the front end of the chair. It is tricky to get it lined up with just one person to get the pins in place to hold it in. Advantage is small car to carry it around in easy to transport. Disadvantage of the Quickie Shadow is the weight. It is steel. The design has not been upgraded to more modern light materials. Some of the other companies offerings may have solved some of these issues. Request a demo right from the manufacturer if you can or ask who you have to go through to get that demo. There might be an adapted sports program in your area that has cycles for you to try/rent (Northeast Passage in New England does this on the East coast, for example)! Lastly, A real positive for a clamp on cycle is that your are at your regular seat height and do not have to transfer. This is huge!! Not only for transfers, but for visability both by people and other cars as most of the newer stand alone handcycle have you almost sitting on the ground!

Best of luck in your searches!!
    engineermom2

The DragonFly works really well. You can also get a FireFly which is a all power hand cycle attachment. here is a link to both of them.
    DragonFly FireFly

The DragonFly works really well. You can also get a FireFly which is a all power hand cycle attachment. here is a link to both of them.
    DragonFly FireFly

I have a Quickie Cyclone handcycle attachment that I really like to use in the summertime. Its not on the market anymore, but you can find used models on Ebay or CraigsList once in a while.
    It fits most manual wheelchair models (I use it with my Quickie Revolution wheelchair), but I find it a bit hard to attach to the wheelchair indoors. My caregiver usually sets the attachment outside, so I have more room to put it on my wheelchair.

Never tried the Rio Mobility style of handcycle.