Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: this is what i can do

this is what i can do

we all have our challenges according to our injury level and abilities
    so please tell us what you can do

T11 complete. 1 and1/2 years post

I can drive an adapted car.
    i can teach using an interactive whiteboard and digital projector.
    i can ambulate with callipers.
    i can transfer without using a board
    i have re entered the construction world
    i have to do a building services degree as part of my professional development which i do not feel like doing
    i can take my daughter to school and back
    i can do the dishes but am terrible cook
    i can give you all one hell of a fight.

Chad can turn his head and shrug his shoulders. He can type with a mouthstick. That's pretty much it! But he can play all sorts of games and interact with us as a family despite these severe limitations
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Great thread Peter! It will be nice to see some responses that might motivate some of us to take the next step on challenging tasks for our injury levels. It will also be a great eye opener to those that have the ability to do more than others but still choose to see and lean in to the negative. P.S. I love "I can" statements.

T-10 complete Post 18 years

I can......
    Overcome anything that is thrown my way. SCI sucks. It either makes you or breaks you.....Emotional strength is key
    Take care of myself 100%
    Cook pretty good compared to years prior
    Clean every room in the house except the tops of cabinets and tall stuff
    Ride my 4 wheeler by myself, after my husband puts me on there
    Ride as a passenger on our motorcycle
    Mow our land with a riding lawn mower, after my husband puts me on there
    Transfer independantly to everything except the obvious tall stuff
    Wash the windows on the house with a long window washing sqweegy thingy
    Grocery shop with a laundry basket on my lap
    Put gas in my own car
    Roll 40-50 miles per week on my Magne-Trainer hand bike
    Make people look past my chair and see me. This chair doesn't define me, I define this chair.

What I would like to learn......

How to do range of motion with my legs on my own
    Smoothly transfer from the floor to my chair.....It's quite the train wreck now
    Go down stairs backwards and forwards like the push girls
    Find the right position in my chair, or a type of chair that will keep my knees together more. I want to wear skirts and know that I won't be playing peek a boo with my hoo hoo and the general public
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    Ride as a passenger on our motorcycle
    I know you're a low para but is it hard maintaining your balance while on the bike. My ex bf has a HD road king and he put me on it and took me for a short ride when were still together. He strapped my legs together so my legs wouldnt flop off and I wrapped my arms around him, but still I didn't feel secure and couldn't wait to get off. It seems like every guy I talk to has a bike and they all seem to think I should get on it and ride, but I'm scared of falling off. Do you have a special seat you sit on?

I can put my 1 year old grand daughter on my lap and cook, vacuum, mop, wash dishes, dust. AB's can't, they don't have a lap with wheels.

LOVE this thread. AS you can see Noirin- age 8 took it upon herself to reply to the 'what i can't do' thread as she couldn't understand why people couldn't do things because she does-(all be it adapted). THe previous post helped her to see that she isn't the only one that struggles with the "i can't" (even though she often doesn't admit it) and the 'i can one' has given her inspiration and hope of a life full of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I know you're a low para but is it hard maintaining your balance while on the bike. My ex bf has a HD road king and he put me on it and took me for a short ride when were still together. He strapped my legs together so my legs wouldnt flop off and I wrapped my arms around him, but still I didn't feel secure and couldn't wait to get off. It seems like every guy I talk to has a bike and they all seem to think I should get on it and ride, but I'm scared of falling off. Do you have a special seat you sit on?

Hey WTF,
    I have a bunch of pics on my Facebook. Just made a 5 hour ride this weekend up to Broken bow lake. I would love to add you on FB if want to check them out. I'll PM you my Facebook info if your interested. We ride a goldwing. I sit in the seat rather than on it. Very comfy. You can see our whole set up with the trailer that we pull behind the bike with my chair in it.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I can ...

adapt to anything.

and enjoy my freedom, I can choose to go left or go right.

Oh dont cook with a kid on your lap!!
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Chad can turn his head and shrug his shoulders. He can type with a mouthstick. That's pretty much it! But he can play all sorts of games and interact with us as a family despite these severe limitations
    You think he'd be interested in shooting? My mount design is 95% worked with head and shoulders. I shoot using a switch with my right arm, but a bite switch could be adapted to activate the trigger. My link below shows me in action.