Thread: Disk Wheels in USHF Mass Start Competitions

Disk Wheels in USHF Mass Start Competitions

I was reading the Rules & Technical Guidelines for the 2012 U.S. Handcycling Series on the USHF website, and on page 8 (the last page) under article 16.17.008, it says "Disk wheels are accepted for handcycle in mass start competitions". For the longest time, I thought disk wheels were not permitted for mass start.

The link for the article is here: http://www.ushf.org/forms/2012_ushcs_tech_guide.pdf

Also, under article 16.17.011, it says "The largest chain ring shall have a guard securely fitted to protect the rider. The protection shall be made of adequate solid material and fully cover the chain ring over half of its circumference (180°) facing the rider."

Can I use a circular bash guard or chain guard that's slightly larger in diameter than the largest chain ring in place of the supplied plastic one and still stay legal?
    Last edited by Richard L; 06-25-2012 at 02:18 PM.

In years past, the rules were based off of UCI rules (for bicycles.) Once UCI officially took over international handcycle racing, they established new/standard rules for the equipment. At races here in the States, it would probably be just fine to run a bashguard. I highly doubt anyone will even notice. Any UCI-governed races might be a different story, though. The writing makes it sound as though it is referring to the guards that are fixed in place. As long as the plastic guard is at least as big as the largest chainring, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
    I was reading the Rules & Technical Guidelines for the 2012 U.S. Handcycling Series on the USHF website, and on page 8 (the last page) under article 16.17.008, it says "Disk wheels are accepted for handcycle in mass start competitions". For the longest time, I thought disk wheels were not permitted for mass start.

The link for the article is here: http://www.ushf.org/forms/2012_ushcs_tech_guide.pdf

Also, under article 16.17.011, it says "The largest chain ring shall have a guard securely fitted to protect the rider. The protection shall be made of adequate solid material and fully cover the chain ring over half of its circumference (180°) facing the rider."

Can I use a circular bash guard or chain guard that's slightly larger in diameter than the largest chain ring in place of the supplied plastic one and still stay legal?
    Leave the supplied gaurd on. I have been warned twice by officials, and they will probably start enforcing the rule soon.

I had to argue with the head ref at the Duathlon Nationals this year, they were going to disqualify 2/3s of the field for not having the correct gaurd(there were 3 of us). USHF used to only allow discs in Time Trials, but they started allowing them in mass start races in 2009.

They do not allow 3 or 4 spoke wheels in mass start races though. (again this is only enforced at larger races Redlands, Rome, Greenville, Augusta...) The smaller races, you can get away with almost anything, so don't be suprised if you see photos of guys racing with Corima 4 spokes or HEDs or something like that in a crit.