Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you eat meat?

Do you eat meat?

Are you a vegetarian? Do you eat meat?

Do you eat ducks, chickens, pigs, cows?

Do you eat dogs, cats?

If you eat meat, do you think that it is inhuman or brutal to kill and eat dogs, cats but it is ok to kill and eat ducks, chickens, pigs, cows?

Do you give fair and equal treatment to all the above animals? But they are all lives. Are they equal lives to you?
    Last edited by Ah Lun; 06-25-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Yes to pigs, duck, chickens and cows. You can add deer and rabbit as well.

No to cats and dogs.

I would eat cat, never had the chance (well as far as I know, I have eaten in some pretty sketchy places in Shenzhen) would not eat dog because I have had them as pets and anthropomorphized them.

No, I do not think animal lives are equal to human lives. That is not to say I condone cruelty to animals but animals eating other animals is part of nature. When a cat eats a mouse is it commiting some karmic sin? As far as I know cats can't make salads.

I'm vegan. If you watch a video like Farm to Fridge or Earthlings, you will see the brutality of how we mass produce animals for consumption. They are not necessarily campaigning for the adoption of a vegan, or even a vegetarian lifestyle (and let's face it, the meat, dairy and egg industries are one and the same in the world of factory farming), but a reflection of what we have become as a species. That we not only turn a collective blind eye and allow these farms to operate as they do, but actively support their cruelty on a daily basis with the choices we make, speaks volumes about who we are as human beings. That said, I find it hypocritical for those who eat factory farmed animals in this (or any other) country to be so vehemently opposed to the consumption of dogs, cats and horses in others. Simply because we've made those animals companions does not make them more valuable or deserving of life than a tuna, a chicken, a pig, a cow, or a lamb.
    Last edited by Ptarzan80; 06-25-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Meh. It is vegans/vegetarians who inevitably are the hypocrites. I stated my reason for not finding dog meat palpable, I find no hypocrisy in it. I forgot about horse meat, I hear it is pretty good and would certainly try it.

Sarah Mclaughlin sings some sad song and the TV shows sad pictures of abused puppies and kittens and people give more money to PETA than SCI research. Now THAT is reflective of what we have become as a species. A bunch of mindless idiots who get told what to think by a box on the wall of their house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptarzan80 View Post
    I'm vegan. If you watch a video like Farm to Fridge or Earthlings, you will see the brutality of how we mass produce animals for consumption. They are not necessarily campaigning for the adoption of a vegan, or even a vegetarian lifestyle (and let's face it, the meat, dairy and egg industries are one and the same in the world of factory farming), but a reflection of what we have become as a species. That we not only turn a collective blind eye and allow these farms to operate as they do, but actively support their cruelty on a daily basis with the choices we make, speaks volumes about who we are as human beings. That said, I find it hypocritical for those who eat factory farmed animals in this (or any other) country to be so vehemently opposed to the consumption of dogs, cats and horses in others. Simply because we've made those animals companions does not make them more valuable or deserving of life than a tuna, a chicken, a pig, a cow, or a lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Lun View Post
    Are you a vegetarian? Do you eat meat?

Do you eat ducks, chickens, pigs, cows?

Do you eat dogs, cats?

If you eat meat, do you think that it is inhuman or brutal to kill and eat dogs, cats but it is ok to kill and eat ducks, chickens, pigs, cows?

Do you give fair and equal treatment to all the above animals? But they are all lives. Are they equal lives to you?
    yse i eat meat, eat ducks, chickens, pigs, cows, etc etc
    no i don't like dogs and cats
    yes i think it's acceptable to kill whatever you're going to eat
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Yes I am a carnivore

"I didnt climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots" - Ron White

Yes I eat cow, chicken, lamb, duck, pig, deer, dove, quail, alligator and turkey.

Never tried dog or cat and have no interest in doing so. I dont begrudge those in other countries that do though.

I eat chicken, turkey, other birds, rabit, pig, cow, lamb, whale, reindeer, moose, deer and horse. I have been eating camel once and it tasted nice. We can't buy dogs and cat in the shop here. It is not in our culture to eat those things, but I am ready to taste everything. Maybe not cats, since I have two cats in my home.

I am not allowed to hunt since I am in a wheelchair, but both my children do.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    I am not allowed to hunt since I am in a wheelchair, .
    I am confused???? Is that some kind of European thing? Here in America, people in wheelchairs are encouraged to get out and hunt and enjoy the outdoors! There are specific groups set up like that the NWTF Wheelin Sportsmen and Outdoors Without Limits that make this possible.

If I could, I would grow my own food. I once did. I do fishing, and have killed a rabbit and a chicken. I think If more of us raised chickens, and a goat for dairy, and learned how to use them properly, no one suffers, and all have a good life. it is easy to grow fish, eggs, and dairy in a small space. not expensive, and not inhumane.

I would not eat a horse, dog or cat unless there were nothing else. they are companion animals, and they are not food. I have lived on several farms, and I feel it is possible to raise food animals and not be cruel or inhumane. While living on a farm, we rarely ate our livestock, and got very little food from a store. We lived mostly on wild game through the seasons, and fattened one cow and one pig a year for the freezer, and raised some chickens for food. We split all game and food animals between four families, and each family grew and canned, dried, smoked, froze, or salted everything we needed to live on.
    I am not old. They still live that way, and have for generations.

for supper last night, I had catfish from a nearby reservore, butter made in a mason jar from local raw milk, potatoes my neighbor grew, honey my neighbor grew, herbs from my patio garden, Salad from my patio container garden, corn from a roadside stand, fried tomatoes, from my patio, and shelf mushroom. they call it forest chicken, but it is a kind of shelf mushroom that grows locally on the bottom of oak or maple tree's.

Most of the time we go to the store, but we had a guest, and I was trying to impress him with a dinner not from a store, after a conversation that included how we are so dependent on crappy food that has a bunch of unedible things in it. I live in an apartment, so it is not as easy to grow things. not impossible though. I have enough herbs, radishes, lettuce, and fish to share with my neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by ryano View Post
    I am confused???? Is that some kind of European thing? Here in America, people in wheelchairs are encouraged to get out and hunt and enjoy the outdoors! There are specific groups set up like that the NWTF Wheelin Sportsmen and Outdoors Without Limits that make this possible.
    My daughter was taking the license for hunting and then she was told wheelchair users were not allowed to hunt. She asked because she needed me to buy the rifle and the place to put it because she was only renting her appartment and I own mine. And for being allowed to own a rifle, I have to take the license, but why to take the license for shooting when I am not allowed anyway.
    I don't know if it is a European law or just a Norwegian law, but the thing is I am not allowed to carry any weapons And anyway, she is not allowed to use my weapon either even if I was allowed to use one and own one. And it is forbidden for everybody to carry any weapon when they are outside, not even the police carry guns here, then they need a special permission.

I am allowed to go and learn to shoot though, but I have never seen a weapon in my life except the 23rd of July last year when ABB was putting the bomb outside the Government building and the whole army was in the town.
    TH 12, 43 years post