Thread: NCSD internship

NCSD internship

Im not sure how to feel about this post. I originally found it on denveregotist.com and it's a listing for an Internship at the National Sports Center for the disabled. Originally I was pretty pumped about the idea of getting an internship at a place with views and interests that line up with my own.

Then I opened the link and read the requirements for the position, everything was going good until I got to the "physical requirements" section. From what I can tell they go out of the way to make sure that no one with a disability even thinks of applying. Am I reading to much in to it and that this sort of vernacular is common place when job hunting? I sort of thought that an organization that lobbies for fair treatment of individuals in sports would also seek the same treatment in employment.

Let me know what you think...

National Sports Center for the Disabled
    Special Events Intern
    Type of work: Internship
    Company URL: http://www.nscd.org
    Date Posted: June 19th, 2012
    Description:
    This position assists with all aspects of special events, including fundraising functions and auction coordination. Assists with the preparation of proposals for contributions and follow-up correspondence, acts as auction liaison, and serves as a liaison for the NSCD when coordinating special events.

Reports to: Special Event Supervisor/Marketing Director
    General Supervision: 1-10 Volunteers

Event Production:
    1. Assist with the marketing efforts of TreadFest and Fans on the Field.
    2. Assist with the coordination of the Rookie Run at Fans on the Field.
    3. Assist with the NSCD Booth at the Winter Park Beer Festival.

Corporate Solicitations:
    1. Assists with the solicitation of corporate and local in-kind sponsorship opportunities for the Fans on the Field.
    2. Assist in providing excellent customer service to guests and sponsors by providing a great experience with true hospitality.

Auction Coordination:
    1. Assists with auction solicitation for the Sports Authority Hal O’Leary Golf Classic.
    2. Assists with Silent Auction activity during the Sports Authority Hal O’Leary Golf Classic. Assists with auction set-up and take down.

Other Duties:
    1. Assists with research for the marketing department.
    2. Assists with NSCD public relations
    3. Performs all other duties as assigned.

Education and Experience Required:
    College level courses in business, journalism, recreational therapy, liberal arts or public relations or equivalent.

Preferred Qualifications:
    • Possess mature and professional attitude in executing job requirements.
    • Knowledge of basic computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 preferred)
    • Experience working with individuals with a disability.
    • Strong verbal skills relating to communication.
    • Able to concentrate and perform job duties while working under noisy, busy conditions.
    • General public relations and marketing experience.

Physical Demands:
    • Position requires walking, standing and sitting for long periods of time without break during the conduct of special events
    • Must be able to lift and carry light loads (5-30 lbs.) for short distances (approximately two blocks).
    • Must be able to use standard phone system and use a normal keyboard and computer screen.
    • Must be capable of hearing ordinary conversations.
    • Vision sufficient or adaptive capabilities to read printed, handwritten, typed and computer generated material.

How to apply:
    Please send cover letter and resume to askrdlant@nscd.org

email/call them & ask.

The 'physical demands' seem pretty minimal.

The only issue might be the use of standard phone system and use of a normal keyboard and computer screen, which doesn't sound like a huge barrier at all, but you might want to have "standard" and "normal" clarified, although unless blind and/or deaf or an arm amputee, I doubt you'll have much an issue at your sci level.

Just submit your resume and see where it goes from there. Any questions you have and issues that might come up can be dealt with once you're chosen as a candidate. Don't take yourself out of the game without even trying.

Quote Originally Posted by ben. View Post
    Physical Demands:
    • Position requires walking, standing and sitting for long periods of time without break during the conduct of special events
    • Must be able to lift and carry light loads (5-30 lbs.) for short distances (approximately two blocks).
    • Must be able to use standard phone system and use a normal keyboard and computer screen.
    • Must be capable of hearing ordinary conversations.
    • Vision sufficient or adaptive capabilities to read printed, handwritten, typed and computer generated material.

I am also amazed and dismayed that an organization that should be advocating for those with disabilities includes such a blatantly discriminatory list of physical demands in an ad. Listing these does NOT free them from the obligation to make reasonable accommodations when requested for a job, esp. for non-essential job functions. I would encourage you to apply for the job and ask for accommodations. If they say no, then you should file an EOCC complaint and perhaps an ADA DOJ complaint as well.

(KLD)