Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you keep your hands clean (ish)?

I use foam handrims..I keep hand sanitizer near but I guess dirty hands just comes with the territory.

I use Natural Fit handrims, and don't push on the tire at all. My hands stay clean (at least visibly). I do carry hand sanitizer, and use it before eating while out and about. I also use half-finger, deerskin gloves for traction and protection while braking.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Hand ball gloves, baseball gloves, golf gloves. I use whatever's on sale. I put tire patches on them for better traction. But it really makes them grab when you want to brake. I have a set of rubber gloves, made by Mad Grip. They are like glue on the hand rims, BUT your hands sweat inside them and they have almost no grip in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I use Natural Fit handrims, and don't push on the tire at all. My hands stay clean (at least visibly). I do carry hand sanitizer, and use it before eating while out and about. I also use half-finger, deerskin gloves for traction and protection while braking.
    same here!

and greetings to a fellow bendy

Quote Originally Posted by koschei View Post
    ... I usually push with the heel of my hand and sometimes my thumbs on the wheel, because it gives me a better grip. Am I doing it totally wrong?

edit: when I say 'on the wheel,' what I mean is pushing on the tire instead of the handrim.
    S'what I do most of the time with Surge LTs. My hands don't like pinching at skinny standard rims. They're much happier spread out some – ends of fingers wrapped under the rim, inner palms and thumbs either along the top of the rim and side of the tire or – more often than not – right atop the tire. Short tabs seem to really help my grip – more straight up-and-down, less arch.

I should worry about the dirt, but don't, yet, use my baseball gloves only when needed as the Surges are fine for flatline work.
    Last edited by nofuss; 06-25-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: gloves

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    you really should push on the handrim, it creates less pressure on the shoulders.
    Why is that? The tire and the handrim are in practically the same location, and the tire has the advantage of being wider and not offset.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Why is that? The tire and the handrim are in practically the same location, and the tire has the advantage of being wider and not offset.
    actually they arent. that small difference limits range of motion and makes you hunch your shoulders more. i was in a shoulder study here a few years back (my data wasnt included but she still showed me the measurements) and the dr doing it explained it to me and gave a talk on proper pushing techniques etc
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MillsWheels View Post
    same here!

and greetings to a fellow bendy
    what is a bendy?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    actually they arent. that small difference limits range of motion and makes you hunch your shoulders more. i was in a shoulder study here a few years back (my data wasnt included but she still showed me the measurements) and the dr doing it explained it to me and gave a talk on proper pushing techniques etc
    With so many different strokes required for different folks I question the generalization. Did the study establish proper hand-to-axle 'drape, dump, seat width? How'd the testers sort out Injury level?

Need more hard info.

I use oval 8 ring splints, they're made of plastic and much cheaper. This is especially important to me since they get lost so easily lol. They can fall off your fingers without you knowing. Some people connect the silver ring splints to a chain that goes around the wrist but thats too bulky and I don't need that many ring splints yet, or ring splints all the time. I also like that the oval 8 ones are beige colored to blend in with your skin. So if you're waiting for insurance to cover the silver ring splints, maybe look into oval 8 to buy out of pocket.

I have a don joy knee brace. I'm not familiar with the kind you have, could you possibly take a picture? This is the kind I have http://www.djoglobal.com/sites/defau...blue_hires.jpg
    My left knee is my worst joint all over, followed by wrists/ankles/hips that are all about the same amount of subluxations and damage.

My service dog was both trained by me (working with trainers) and I received assistance from a local SD training organization called ICAN, and did a month of boarded training. Its definitely possible to train your own service dog but a huge undertaking. You also have to determine what you're going to do if your prospect doesn't make it through training. Will you keep the dog as a pet, and try again? Rehome the dog? If you choose to keep a failed prospect its important to know that most reputable service dog organizations will not place a service dog in a home with a pet dog. Some will not place a dog in a home with any other dogs, some make exceptions for retired service animals. Most dogs do not have what it takes to be a service animal. I have a training washout in my dog Emma, but she won't be going anywhere. So I have to somewhat start from scratch and be able to financially afford 3 dogs to start over again, and possibly have a gap between retirement of my current dog and a new partner.

If you decide to go the route of owner training, I highly recommend finding either an organization or a service dog trainer or training group locally to support you. Its a very lengthy process and you will make mistakes going through it the first time. I'm very lucky in that Tessa was able to rebound back from my mistakes! And that was WITH local support! Its also important to say there are more shady service dog organizations in existance than reputable ones. Its especially bad when it comes to mobility assistance dogs. There are trainers out there that think all you have to do is teach a dog some mobility tasks and you've got a service dog. There are some big name organizations that are known in the community to place under trained, or unsuitable dogs. Training breaks down into 3 divisions which are obedience, service tasks, and public access. Public access training is the most difficult part. Thats the biggest part that relies on the dog itself. You can teach a dog with bad nerves or bad temperament to perform service tasks and obedience. But they won't be fit for public access. Its this category that results in "service dogs" that bark, urinate, whine, eat, seek attention from strangers, and so forth in public. Federal laws allow people to self train service dogs to provide the most protection to those with disabilities, but there are people who take advantage of this. There is no federal certification for service dogs and businesses are not allowed to request certification. This is a hot button issue for the SD community. Its up to the individual to assure their SD meets requirements and remember that when in public they are representing all other SD teams. If you'd like to discuss this more, I can give you my email address I'm a board member of the Assistance Dog Advocacy Project.

When you say approaching the push rim sideways, do you mean with your hands perpendicular to the push rim? I'm curious because I do that a lot myself if I'm not paying attention. Then I frequently smash my fingers into the pushrim, sometimes resulting in dislocations. I have to make sure I pay attention while pushing and my mind doesn't wander too much. I blame lousy EDS proprioception!

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    what is a bendy?
    Someone with hypermobility
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.