Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: I want combo trials, and now!!

Originally posted by Wise Young:

quadfather,

It is hard to give a specific number. I can tell from the buzz at the meetings. Almost every spinal cord injury laboratory that I know is now making combination therapies a high priority. I don't know how many are actually doing it. Many laboratories that are doing cell transplants are considering giving some other therapy alongside the cell transplants, for example. I have given two examples of laboratories that have reported that combinations of therapies are better than the individual therapies alone: Mary Bunge's laboratory at Miami Project and Xiao Ming Xu's lab in Louisville. I know that our laboratory has shifted our focus to combination therapies. I think that the Reeve-Irvine Center is doing combination therapies. There must be dozens more examples.

Wise.
    this great news. finally corners are being cut.

i was so wrong...

I finally read something in cure, get hopeful and then read the dates....gah. 6 years....and what?
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    I finally read something in cure, get hopeful and then read the dates....gah. 6 years....and what?
    seeee, when i point out how nothing has changed, then you have jim, 55, and others screaming shut up and smile.

here is dr young from 2004
    07-25-2004, 07:34 PM
    1. rolipram and db cAMP
    a. with Schwann cells (Bunge, et al, Miami)
    b. with bone marrow stem cells (Tuszynski, et al., UCSD)
    2. GDNF and chondroitinase with Schwann cells (Xu, et al., Louisville).
    3. L1 with radial glial cells (Grumet, et al., Rutgers)

All of these have several significant obstacles to clinical trial both in the United States and around the world. First, none of the studies gave the treatments to chronic spinal cord injury and some animal data will probably be required before the combinations will be tried in chronic human spinal cord injury. Second, it may take a little time to negotiate the drugs from their sources: chondroitinase is available from Seikagaku and possibly from Acorda Therapeutics, db cAMP is just a common chemical, and GDNF should be available from Amgen. Third, the sources of the cells will require a lot of work. Finally, we need to find a funding source for these trials. I suspect that these obstacles will require at least a year or two to overcome.

Wise.

plese watch this. DVD I think Late May

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    Can you be more specific? Especially in scope (i.e. which is getting the most attention from researchers, how many labs? how many different combos?)
    Harrison Ford Movie...Extraordinary Measures Sir.

based on the following book : http://www.thecurebook.com/

Its always uplifting to come and read these threads. Having a bad day as a gimp and coming here to find some cheer. Wow!
    Creeping up on my 49th birthday and 10 years in a chair, I am fairly certain I will be dead before something comes to pass to help us. The newby's who are in their teen's and twenties, you might have a shot but us north of the 40 yard line in life just see the sand falling through the glass day by day. personally being involved in SCI research, I've seen first hand how the research game is run. Anymore, I'm with DA

BTW: I thought CDRPA was supposed to have passed and the $$$ for a clinical trial network was already in place. For a long time the cry was we need money. At the recent Spinal Cord Workshop the cry now is "we have money but no Clinical trial network" What gives?

If only you used the energy you have to do something about it instead of constantly trolling this website and whining out in your own selfishness.
    Research is not so advanced just because of people like you so thank you DA. Such a great attitude.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]
    The most likely derivation of the word troll can be found in the phrase "trolling for newbies", popularized in the early 1990s in the Usenet group, alt.folklore.urban (AFU).[7][8] Commonly, what is meant is a relatively gentle inside joke by veteran users, presenting questions or topics that had been so overdone that only a new user would respond to them earnestly. For example, a veteran of the group might make a post on the common misconception that glass flows over time. Long-time readers would both recognize the poster's name and know that the topic had been done to death already, but new subscribers to the group would not realize, and would thus respond. Src: wikipedia
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    i was so wrong...
    Sadly, about something I would have wanted you to be right.