Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 300

Thread: I want combo trials, and now!!

  1. #41
    Wise, as you explain the ins and outs of NIH, trials, and funding, we, or at least I learn. As you can see, there is energy on this board to raise funding. At the very least, each one of us should lookl at $1 day and contribute. I still think that once a trial shows progress, funding and snowballing will follow. Do you agree?

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    Wise, as you explain the ins and outs of NIH, trials, and funding, we, or at least I learn. As you can see, there is energy on this board to raise funding. At the very least, each one of us should lookl at $1 day and contribute. I still think that once a trial shows progress, funding and snowballing will follow. Do you agree?
    I cannot speak for Wise, but I will share my opinion:
    It could be helpful if it was progress that was understood by the public. But even that is not a certainty. Things like progress in other areas of medicine can be competition and/or a detraction. Similarly, things like recessions cause everyone to tighten their wallets. Indications are that people continue to give generously now, but to things like food banks. To many people, research of any sort is a luxury.
    While I encourage optimism, I caution against thinking in absolutes. We have to continue on with or without the snowball effect. That is the one certainty I believe in.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  3. #43
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,974
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I cannot speak for Wise, but I will sh ofare my opinion:
    It could be helpful if it was progress that was understood by the public. But even that is not a certainty. Things like progress in other areas of medicine can be competition and/or a detraction. Similarly, things like recessions cause everyone to tighten their wallets. Indications are that people continue to give generously now, but to things like food banks. To many people, research of any sort is a luxury.
    While I encourage optimism, I caution against thinking in absolutes. We have to continue on with or without the snowball effect. That is the one certainty I believe in.
    That goes true for the general public, but one would hope that once a SCI clinical trial has shown tangible evidence of recovery, even if just one or two levels of function or sensation, or both, that the SCI community would finally get serious about fighting for their own cause. If a positive, successful trial doesn't have a correlating effect on those of us with SCI in regards to activism and lobbying for funds, then any cure will be a long time in the coming.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

  4. #44
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    You have a lot of questions for somebody who is supposedly omniscient. I assume that they are mostly rhetorical. Let me take some of them.

    Why didn't Obama allow clinical trials to be funded by the $5 billion stimulus allocation to NIH? Given that Obama did not campaign on promises to increase NIH funding and there has been nary a peep from people for increased spinal cord injury clinical trial funding, why are you surprised that little or none of the $5 billion stimulus money allocated to NIH was designated for spinal cord injury clinical trials? In Washington DC, you don't ask, you don't get.
    because nih is corrupt. there are plenty of people asking for sci trials, many for years, and even i was writing those stupid letters...well sue wrote mine...grammar.
    all we got was the middle finger.

    Why was there purposely no funding of the CDRPA? I find it strange that you should ask this question. Based on everything that you have said to date, you don't want NIH to get any money. You think that it is a waste of time. So, why are you asking the question? Aren't you glad that it did not get funding? You also say "purposely" but don't mention who or why. There are lots of things that are not funded in Washington DC.
    I ask to point out the corrupt system. as much as your mindless butt kissing members may wish for, DA is not the reason congress didnt fund the bill. and neither is our courageous members who got the bill passed. PS. I think everyone noticed how you dodged the issue.

    The government is like the mother bird that has landed in her nest with worms in her beak for her young birds with their mouth open and lustily peeping for attention and food. You think that the spinal cord injury chick not only should not peep for worms but it should close its mouth and turn its back. The mother bird will not peck the spinal cord injury chick on the head and force the worm into its mouth. The chick is going to be hungry.

    Finally, let me ask a question. Why is it my responsibility to raise money for spinal cord injury clinical trials and not yours?

    Wise.
    dont insult a loving caring mother bird with our government. a better example would be a $2 whore. paying off congress gets us anything we want... ask the unions how they do it.
    how you think obama got health care to pass....bribes?


    i never ask you to raise money for us. but it would be the humane thing to do.
    if i live to see a cure, i will not every take my new freedom for granted. i will pick a uncured disease and raise tons of money to cure it...without them asking.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    That goes true for the general public, but one would hope that once a SCI clinical trial has shown tangible evidence of recovery, even if just one or two levels of function or sensation, or both, that the SCI community would finally get serious about fighting for their own cause. If a positive, successful trial doesn't have a correlating effect on those of us with SCI in regards to activism and lobbying for funds, then any cure will be a long time in the coming.
    I would hope so, but I have a lot of doubts. I admit, I have difficulty in understanding the "I want it all, and I want it now" generation. From my perspective, the difficult jobs are done with patience, persistence, and hard work over the long haul. Second, my generation has always looked unselfishly beyond ourselves and had a commitment to making things better for future generations. That is what has kept me hanging in there, through good times and bad, and success and failure. Today's generation seem ready to abandon anything that does not have an immediate and substantial payback. Progress in small steps seems not to impress many, yet that is the way difficult problems get solved. As I have said before, wars are not won in a single battle, yet that seems to be the expectation. Also, just as leadership in the civil rights movement has dwindled as things have gotten better for African-Americans, the same thing seems to be affecting disability group leadership since the passage of ADA and some technological and medical advances that have improved the lives of many. It takes strong leaders to keep the troops fighting when under duress.

    Anyhow, that is this "old buzzard's" opinion.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by DA
    if i live to see a cure, i will not every take my new freedom for granted. i will pick a uncured disease and raise tons of money to cure it...without them asking.
    So you'll raise tons of money for another group of people -- even though there's also (paraphrasing you) "an army of people whose jobs depend on them being sick" and their cure will have to go through the same "corrupt" system of clinical trials, etc. -- but you won't do a thing to help advance a cure for yourself or your peers.

    Nice.

    I believe I've just discovered my new definition for insanity.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

    ~Julius Caesar


  7. #47
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    So you'll raise tons of money for another group of people -- even though there's also (paraphrasing you) "an army of people whose jobs depend on them being sick" and their cure will have to go through the same "corrupt" system of clinical trials, etc. -- but you won't do a thing to help advance a cure for yourself or your peers.

    Nice.

    I believe I've just discovered my new definition for insanity.
    i said post cure. as ab i could travel, lobby, bribe, whatever it takes.
    i can not do those things at will being a complete dependent quad.
    maybe after the system build that multi-trillion dollar robot capable of making me
    independent, then i could do those things as a quad.

    your IQ is not very high huh?

    btw, multi-trillion dollars could buy multi-thousand different sci cures. isnt the system great.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    17,427
    Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    i said post cure. as ab i could travel, lobby, bribe, whatever it takes.
    i can not do those things at will being a complete dependent quad.
    maybe after the system build that multi-trillion dollar robot capable of making me
    independent, then i could do those things as a quad.

    your IQ is not very high huh?

    btw, multi-trillion dollars could buy multi-thousand different sci cures. isnt the system great.
    I know it is not easy for you to travel, and sorry for that, but if you could do one trip, one trip to go and talk to Obama and tell him what you want, that might do some changes, you are good with words like Obama and you know sci, -he might even like you (maybe we could sponsor a trip for you if required).
    Last edited by Leif; 04-23-2010 at 02:56 AM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I know it is not easy for you to travel, and sorry for that, but if you could do one trip, one trip to go and talk to Obama and tell him what you want, that might do some changes, you are good with words like Obama and you know sci, -he might even like you (maybe we could sponsor a trip for you if required).
    a cc forum member did talk to obama. dr young likes to forget that when he says no one in the sci community has ask for government help.

  10. #50
    Senior Member 0xSquidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    a cc forum member did talk to obama. dr young likes to forget that when he says no one in the sci community has ask for government help.
    Would you do it?
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

    Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

    http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •