Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: "You're a beautiful person."

alcohol is the solution here.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Wow-This thread baffles the hell out of me. I think how every day here people might rant,vent, just tell about an odd encounter and that is the end of it.
    I seldom see them analyzed and dissected like this. And worse yet is to take it to such a personal level.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Wow-This thread baffles the hell out of me. I think how every day here people might rant,vent, just tell about an odd encounter and that is the end of it.
    I seldom see them analyzed and dissected like this. And worse yet is to take it to such a personal level.

I agree. It's threads like this that make me scared to post my own experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    People are nervous around us, sometimes I find it irritating sometimes it is just funny. The other day I was waiting for the elevator. Elevators are especially fun because AB people are forced to be in a small room with a scary person in a wheelchair. Most people behave normally, but some don't. Anyway the door opens and there is a woman in the elevator. She says what 90% of people say when they see me when an elevator door opens "Oh! I am sorry!", long ago I have gotten the urge to say "Sorry for what?". Anyway she makes no move to get out, so I figure she has come up from the garage and is heading up. I get in, hit my floor but notice no other floors are hit. I look over at her and ask "You going to 10 (my floor)", she laughs nervously and said "Oh I was going to get off in the lobby". She had been so weirded out by seeing someone in a wheelchair she had literally frozen. Her body language is tense and the whole thing is just uncomfortable and weird. Anyway we get to my floor, I roll out and just as the doors are closing I turn around and yell "BOO". I was deprived of the joy of seeing her face by the door but it looked like she jumped. The whole thing still makes me smile.

Just thought I would share a recent odd, funny encounter.

Are you sure she did not think you were the grim reaper?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    People are nervous around us, sometimes I find it irritating sometimes it is just funny. The other day I was waiting for the elevator. Elevators are especially fun because AB people are forced to be in a small room with a scary person in a wheelchair. Most people behave normally, but some don't. Anyway the door opens and there is a woman in the elevator. She says what 90% of people say when they see me when an elevator door opens "Oh! I am sorry!", long ago I have gotten the urge to say "Sorry for what?". Anyway she makes no move to get out, so I figure she has come up from the garage and is heading up. I get in, hit my floor but notice no other floors are hit. I look over at her and ask "You going to 10 (my floor)", she laughs nervously and said "Oh I was going to get off in the lobby". She had been so weirded out by seeing someone in a wheelchair she had literally frozen. Her body language is tense and the whole thing is just uncomfortable and weird. Anyway we get to my floor, I roll out and just as the doors are closing I turn around and yell "BOO". I was deprived of the joy of seeing her face by the door but it looked like she jumped. The whole thing still makes me smile.

That is so freeking awesome, I do stuff like that, haha.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Theres no doubt a lot of what we are seeing in this thread is women are from mars and men from venus (or is it the other way around, lol). Men think differently than woman is all, no harm in that.

I just don't understand why you did not try and set the woman straight Eileen if it really bothered you? Look at your original post again. You referred to yourself as "little crippled me" . It took me years to be able to speak up and assert myself, but since I've been doing so I feel so much better about myself rather than keeping everything inside. In a situation like you were in I would not have got angry with the woman because she was old, but I would have just tried to teach how things are in the year 2012, it is not 1950 anymore.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

It's interesting because I get the completely opposite reaction. Whether I am already inside the elevator or entering, women (in particular) start wanting to make out with me -- kissing, hugging, groping. It's gotten so bad that I decided I'm better off just taking the stairs.

I'd have killed her with kindnes by saying, "She is, isn't she!"

I don't doubt you read her right Eileen.

HAHAHA that is great.

stephen: it must be your aftershave
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/