Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: "You're a beautiful person."

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    It's interesting because I get the completely opposite reaction. Whether I am already inside the elevator or entering, women (in particular) start wanting to make out with me -- kissing, hugging, groping. It's gotten so bad that I decided I'm better off just taking the stairs.
    Lol, thats pretty funny Stephen.

If I just sit in my chair in a place like a hallway, (I guess I'm supposed to be moving), bend over to get into my bag, I get people stop and ask, "are you ok?" They think I look like I'm having an attack of some sort.
    It used to bother me because they won't leave until I say something. Now I just ask back, "compared to when?"

Also at stores some people get so shook up when they get close enough to give me my change, they begin to shake and their hands quiver the closer they get to my hand.
    That one never botherd me, but puzzled me. It is usually teenagers.

But none of it bothers me anymore as I realize it is not my job to micro manage other people's emotions toward me.

Anybody here ever get a nervous shaker?

I'm usually worried Dave is going to run over someone's toe in the elevator.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    It's interesting because I get the completely opposite reaction. Whether I am already inside the elevator or entering, women (in particular) start wanting to make out with me -- kissing, hugging, groping...
    This is true. I've seen it. It's really embarrassing when you're there. And you should see the waiters fawning over him when taking his order.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    This is true. I've seen it. It's really embarrassing when you're there. And you should see the waiters fawning over him when taking his order.
    Did you receive a copy of the restraining order?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    If I just sit in my chair in a place like a hallway, (I guess I'm supposed to be moving), bend over to get into my bag, I get people stop and ask, "are you ok?" They think I look like I'm having an attack of some sort.
    It used to bother me because they won't leave until I say something. Now I just ask back, "compared to when?"

Also at stores some people get so shook up when they get close enough to give me my change, they begin to shake and their hands quiver the closer they get to my hand.
    That one never botherd me, but puzzled me. It is usually teenagers.

But none of it bothers me anymore as I realize it is not my job to micro manage other people's emotions toward me.

Yes, I've had a couple different ones at the Target I've been going to for the last 6 months. It's in a rural tea party type locale.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Eileen, you're wrong on so many levels, but I've no desire to argue with you, nor do I care to try and change your mind.

If you look honestly at your second post in this thread, you'll see that your response to those who had commented (cryptic, Curt, and me) was filled with ire, contempt, and defensiveness, as if you couldn't believe that anyone dared question you. I responded with snark, but I stand by all my words in this thread.

Your subsequent posts speak for themselves.
    Scorpion, inside of you I smell a loving person, but you project your bitterness on other people all the time. It is you that is filled with ire, contempt and defensiveness.
    The beauty of projection is that it opens a window inside of yourself that you can't ignore: just look at what you say to unfairly provoke other people, and a bulb will light up.

I think it must be English reserve but over here wheelers don't seem to be treated much differently to ABs, no eye contact, get bumped into and you apologize first, sit next to someone on a train for three hours without speaking, hold open doors for people that don't even want to through 'em, feel embarrassed if a total stranger makes a tit of themselves, gawd the list is endless........

I'm exaggerating above but I can honestly say that I've never had a stranger make a derogatory/embarrassing remark about me being in a chair within my hearing (may be just lucky or perhaps a bit deaf).

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    I think it must be English reserve but over here wheelers don't seem to be treated much differently to ABs, no eye contact, get bumped into and you apologize first, sit next to someone on a train for three hours without speaking, hold open doors for people that don't even want to through 'em, feel embarrassed if a total stranger makes a tit of themselves, gawd the list is endless........

I'm exaggerating above but I can honestly say that I've never had a stranger make a derogatory/embarrassing remark about me being in a chair within my hearing (may be just lucky or perhaps a bit deaf).
    I think I'm going to have to move to the UK.

I was thinking about it, I have noticed people really staring at me when I lean down to get change out of my wheelchair bag, I think that must be it, they think I'm slumped over dead, lol.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

Yeah, that has happened to me in checkout lines as well. Oddly enough it usually is white, american teenagers. I go to 7-11 and if the person behind the counter is from another country they treat me with the same indifference they treat everyone else. It is refreshing in an odd way. The flip side is if you become a regular people treat you really well. I go to two starbucks regularly and in both a couple of the girls and one of the guys are flirty and super nice.