Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I miss what I can't do

Mising?

Yeah, I miss former AB activities, however, I do have memories of them which I mentally playback on occassion. I also miss early evening martinis, but cannot recall all that many.

To Hell and back,
    Shorty Tripp
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

OK, I've forgotten all the things I miss pre-1978 injury. Now I have a whole new set of things that I miss pre-2011 Christmas arm-meltdown. Like blasting down the sidewalk to catch a transit bus. Now I have to plan every trip with van and driver.

Blog Entries
    I made about 750 skydives before I was crippled (in a skydiving plane crash), and have made 4 tandem jumps since then. They were OK, but nothing like real skydiving. I really miss the whole experience of a weekend of jumping.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I made about 750 skydives before I was crippled (in a skydiving plane crash), and have made 4 tandem jumps since then. They were OK, but nothing like real skydiving. I really miss the whole experience of a weekend of jumping.
    I am considering doing a tandem jump. Can't decide.

I miss ice and rollerskating-sled hockey is not even close.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

I'm only a year from my injury but I miss just being independent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aidan416 View Post
    I am considering doing a tandem jump. Can't decide.
    If you decide to go, I would suggest that you go to Jumptown in Orange and ask to have Keith take you up. He has thousands of tandem jumps and is very careful and knowledgeable.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    If you decide to go, I would suggest that you go to Jumptown in Orange and ask to have Keith take you up. He has thousands of tandem jumps and is very careful and knowledgeable.
    Donno-does Western MA allow folks from the Northshore in without a visa

Seriously, I will probably contact you again and ask some more questions-Thanks!
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

I was injured when I was 19. My life I thought was perfect before my injury, nice girlfriend of 4 years, great body, 4.0 gpa, etc. When I was injured this all went away very fast. When I was super depressed and at the same time wishing a car would crash into us and end this hellish life, I saw a man sweeping and I got jealous of him as he was able to do such a task and I knew he wasn't realizing how lucky he is to even be able to do it.

I'm now a totally different person now and I realized how destructive these thoughts are and really add nothing positive to your life unless you can enjoy the memory without feeling bad about it so why do it?

Why put yourself through such emotions if you don't have too? I'm not sure how new your injury is but it took about 5 years for me to come to this realization. After I realized my life is a totally different one than I use to have my life got a whole lot better.

What helped me the most was just realizing you are a different person, you'll never be who you thought you were in your mind before your injury. Your body doesn't define who you are, its your mind.

Why fill yourself with sadness when you can fill it with so much more? Its okay and needed to feel sad but don't let it overcome you. Realize life is out there and even though you can't do what you use to do you still have a life to live.

If you can do it, which I managed through being tired of the same old negative thoughts, just think of yourself as being reborn. Forget everything you thought was normal and take what you do now as what you always knew. Once you achieve this sadness won't occur. If you were born with pain, pain is what you know so there is nothing to be sad about. Its only when you compare pain to having no pain at all is when it gets sad.

Normal people do this as well. They see someone on facebook having a nice house, doing fun things, and they start getting sad because they don't have these things or experiences.

Now when I see children running around and being happy I get happy knowing their lives are just starting and they have very little worries in the world. As a grown up you can also feel this way if you let yourself. Its all about wanting to be happy, its a choice. Do you want to live in misery or do you want to live in happiness? For me it was a long and confusing journey but once you reach the end of it, you feel enlightened and grateful to have such a view on life.

I've met so many amazing people, experienced so many different things all because of this injury. If I was never injured I would still be living on the east coast, married, kids probably, doing the 9-5 job, and not really knowing what life is all about. Look around you, do you see many happy people? I don't and they are perfectly normal.

I'm not saying I'm happy about my injury but I'm not bitter about it either. Its just another life direction that would have never occurred so its interesting to think of what life would have been like without it.
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 07-01-2012 at 04:27 AM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

I miss having friends.

I miss flirting with men

I miss my independence

I miss wearing heels

I miss going shopping and actually having fun doing it

I miss life this is not life its been twelve years I consider the day of my accident the day i died so to me i was 24 when i died