Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I miss what I can't do

I miss what I can't do

There's a lot I can still do and still enjoy, so why focus on the things I can't?

I cried today for a good while because I saw some kids swinging on some swings. It was so beautiful. I had a flashback, though, to when I was a kid. I LOVED the swings. I used to go really really aggressively back and forth and get up so high then I'd let go and thrust myself in the air and land somewhere on the grass or sand, it was like slow motion when I let go and went flying. Fuck I miss that so much the feeling in my heart is so heavy today.

oh well,
    swallow,
    gulp.
    move on.

I felt that way when I got my kids a trampoline when they were younger...God I wanted to jump with them and used to be so good at it..doing flips and all...times like that when it is real cutting.

yep, move on...
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Hi diaspora. I know how it is, I get days like that where the experience of loss is acute and specific. Swallow, gulp, move on...yes, exactly. Nothing else to do. But sometimes it really hurts, even though we're "used to it." The spirit harbors a wistfulness that is almost as painful as the loss, itself.

unfortunately, i cannot relate (before anyone pounces on me do remember that i was 2 when i was injured) but i hope you know it is ok to feel sad in these moments. maybe over time they will lessen, maybe not. regardless, know that it is ok and you've got plenty of folks here that do relate.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

For me it's baseball. And the beach. Those moments will always be there; they just fade more sometimes.

Though I'm hitting a game, Toronto vs Detroit at Comerica in August I hope. Time to finally burst that bubble.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    unfortunately, i cannot relate (before anyone pounces on me do remember that i was 2 when i was injured) but i hope you know it is ok to feel sad in these moments. maybe over time they will lessen, maybe not. regardless, know that it is ok and you've got plenty of folks here that do relate.

Unlike Cryptic, I was 20 years old when I was injured. I went through the usual stuff, depression and etc. After 10 years post, I thought of how I used to be maybe several times a day. After 20 years post, I would think about it maybe once a month. Now at 45 years post, I never think about it and wonder why I ever wanted to go back. If I had not been injured, I would never met my wife and gotten married 41 years ago. Once I accepted everything, even being married, my life turned around and I have been happy ever since. I only hope many of you can find what I did!!! I don't really miss what I can't do, I just enjoy what I can do...

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Question missing stuff

I have a heavy heart this week too. I sail competitively and I was lucky enough to be quite successful at it. Unfortunately, my own boat was destroyed in an accident on the road. I can't just "jump" on any sailboat.
    I miss tennis and going to practice. Just some venting. I wonder what else I miss.

I miss dancing and I feel bad that I did not have the possibility to get an education. I envy my children their master degrees. When I finished the gymnasium, I was without money to continue to the university.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I miss horses, and dancing. Also catching planes, trains and taxis w/ my passport anda backpack...Boy do I miss that. And changing light bulbs! My bro has been in douche mode for months so my house gets darker and darker and darker.

I miss riding my motorcycles & horseback riding