Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backrest?

Backrest?

Hey All!

I'm going to demo some new backrests on Tuesday and I just want to get a general idea before I go....

I currently have a Ride Corbac and a Ride Forward Cushion on my manual chair and a Jay J2 and a Ride Forward Cushion on my power chair

I am thinking I want a ridged back because I am finding I need a bit more support.

Things to keep in mind:

- I have a 12'' backrest.
    - I would like low-profile/ looks cool
    - It is highly likely it will be coming out of my own pocket.

Backs I have been considering:

- J3
    - Matrix (not sure which model)
    - ADI Carbon Fibre

Thoughts?

WG

I really like the matrix elite. It comes in 4 or 5 different heights.

I've got a Corbac that does not give me enough support. The solid back that I had previously worked better but was quite a bit heavier. Good luck finding one that works better for you!

I have a J3 and it works great for my back issues! I need very good lumbar support and have scoliosis. I can't tolerate sitting up for long periods due to muscle spasms that increase in intensity as time goes on. This was my biggest concern when I was getting my wheelchair, as I can't tolerate a car seat or regular chair for very long. At home I'm in bed and change up with different reclining positions. But with my J3 I've been able to get the support I need and spend 5-6 hours in the chair with no back spasms, which is amazing for me! So I highly recommend it.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I have a J3 and it works great for my back issues! I need very good lumbar support and have scoliosis. I can't tolerate sitting up for long periods due to muscle spasms that increase in intensity as time goes on. This was my biggest concern when I was getting my wheelchair, as I can't tolerate a car seat or regular chair for very long. At home I'm in bed and change up with different reclining positions. But with my J3 I've been able to get the support I need and spend 5-6 hours in the chair with no back spasms, which is amazing for me! So I highly recommend it.

Thanks all!

Lin, how high is your backrest?

I have the mid thoracic version, it goes to just below my shoulder blades.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I have a 10" ADI CF seat back and love it. I used to have a 13" J3 and would have terrible back pain after a few hours. With my ADI, I rarely have pain after a 16 hr day.

My DME has me running a Varilite Icon for a week... Like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by T4Gimp View Post
    I have a 10" ADI CF seat back and love it. I used to have a 13" J3 and would have terrible back pain after a few hours. With my ADI, I rarely have pain after a 16 hr day.

what height is the adi set at
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by T4Gimp View Post
    I have a 10" ADI CF seat back and love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    what height is the adi set at
    Just as a wild guess, I'd say it's 10".