Thread: Anybody do the Danube river cruise

Anybody do the Danube river cruise

My wife has her heart set on going on the Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise. Called a travel agent, and she was very discouraging, saying that river boats are not assessable and the tours are not as well. Anybody ever do this trip? Was it any fun, or just a pain?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I got a note from a Facebook friend about a company who is creating an accessile boat plus dealing with the issue of the ports being in the center of old cities. I'll try and get an update.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I got a note from a Facebook friend about a company who is creating an accessile boat plus dealing with the issue of the ports being in the center of old cities. I'll try and get an update.
    Thanks Sue that would be great.

I want to do the Vienna/Bratislava to the Black Sea part of the Danube myself. :-) At the time I last heard from him a huge problem was accessible tour buses in the Vienna area. I did do a canal tour in Amsterdam and they only have one accessible canal boat but worse, even for the locals, are the shape of most stairs up to street level. Even if I could walk there were many I would be afraid to climb they are so old and unstable. My guess is as money comes available in mainland Europe this will be addressed in many cities due to the money tourism brings in and tourists are not getting younger.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I want to do the Vienna/Bratislava to the Black Sea part of the Danube myself. :-) At the time I last heard from him a huge problem was accessible tour buses in the Vienna area. I did do a canal tour in Amsterdam and they only have one accessible canal boat but worse, even for the locals, are the shape of most stairs up to street level. Even if I could walk there were many I would be afraid to climb they are so old and unstable. My guess is as money comes available in mainland Europe this will be addressed in many cities due to the money tourism brings in and tourists are not getting younger.
    I'm getting the impression that the Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise is really not accessible, damn. My wife really wanted to go. Do you have any other European cruise ideas that are more accessible? Thanks for your help.

A AB friend just finished this cruise and said it's not accessible at all. I wanted to do it also but not to be.

Ive recently read that the company Scenic Cruises in Europe now have boat/s with a wheelchair accessible room.

Found the link...

http://www.travelsignposts.com/river...g-for-disabled

The issue is not just the lack of accessible cabins on most river cruise ships, but the lack of accessibility shoreside. In most areas where you get on/off the boats to see the local area, there are stairs, not ramps, and sometimes, depending on water flow, a lot of stairs to get from the boat to the street level. You might have to settle for staying on the boat all the time, even for the company listed above.

(KLD)

We were in Budapest last year. Loved it. I could not get on the boat. There are many steps down to the boats. There were several people with us and there were to many steps for everyone to take turns to try to carry me. So someone stayed with me and we shopped while everyone else got on the boat.