Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: schwann cell transplant

schwann cell transplant

i live in New Jersey, and have a t-11 complete spinal cord injury caused by a gunshot, and would like to know where i would go to get a schwann cell transplant??

you could get a oeg transplant (not schwann cells) from Dr Huang but only modest functional return at the moment

anyone else??

Hi Brian, no one in the US or the world that I'm aware of is currently offering schwann cell transplants. The Miami Project just published the results of a combination therapy with schwann cells but they may be a few years away from initiating human trials.

Schwann Cell Transplant in China

This week, as organized by Prof. Kwok-fai So, Senior Scientist of HKU, I had a meeting with him, Prof. John Leong, Senior Orthopaedic of HKU, Prof. Gong Ju, Director of Institute of Neurosciences in Xi-an, China, and found out from Prof. Ju that Schwann Cell Transplants in human are being carried out in Kun-ming, China, over 40 patients already which have yielded impressive results.

Headed by Prof. Ju, Prof. So, Prof. Leong, Dr. Wong Yat Wah and I will visit the hospital in early July to investigate the patients and the procedure.

Prof. Ju will write to Dr. Young very soon asking if he could visit Kun-ming with us to offer his most valuable and expert advice in this procedure or next time when he is in Hong Kong.

Suzanne

[This message was edited by Suzanne Poon on 06-13-04 at 08:26 AM.]

Thanks Suzanne

Very interesting - we have hope when people like you and Wise are advocating for a cure so vigorously

Thanks again

Chris

Your words and encouragement are most important to all advocates concerned.

Leading scientists and orthopaedics in Hong Kong are now very keen to develop the best combination of most effective therapies as suggested by world-leading scientist, our Dr. Wise Young. I would like to add that I have contributed a small amount of influence to their drive.

Suzanne

I hope that people noticed the post by Suzanne below. Let me repeat it... There is a report that a group in Kunming China has transplanted Schwann cells into 40 patients and have "yielded impressive results". I will try to get over there with Suzanne to find out and report back. Wise.

Didn't Miami Project do Schwann Cell transplants into humans several years ago with no real recovery? I guess finding out what the group in Kunming China did differently would be key. Perhaps they used some combo therapy.

ip,

Miami Project has *not* transplanted Schwann cells into people. I think that two MS patients at Yale did get Schwann cell transplants about two years ago. The neurosurgeon, Tim Vollmer, has gone to Barrows Neurological Institute in Phoenix, Arizona, however. I don't think that he has done any more Schwann cell transplants. To my knowledge, unless one considers the work of Carl Kao transplanting peripheral nerves into the spinal cord to be Schwann cell transplants, these are the only two cases of Schwann cell transplants done in the United States. If a group in Kun-ming (which is a Southwestern Province in China) have transplanted Schwann cells into 40 patients and are reporting "impressive" results, this is worthwhile looking into.

Wise.

Thanks Wise. I was confused with some other transplantation human trial done earlier in the US.