Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Tub/Jacuzzi

Hot Tub/Jacuzzi

is it recommended for a SCI patient to sit/enjoy a hot tub? or is being in hot water bad? he ruptured his discs from c4 to c6...and had cartilage jammed in his spinal cord at c1. after surgery about 40 days ago, he was unable to move any of his arms and legs. he's not able to walk and has some use of his left arm and hand--enough to be able to feed himself, brush his teeth and shave. not much from his right arm or hand.

So this person was only hurt 40 days ago? If that is true he needs therapy and time. I doubt if they should be in a hot tub that soon after surgery. You need to communicate with the doctors and therapist.

not being able to sweat is a problem for sci's..sitting in a hot tub and NOT sweating is really bad, ...if you can, adj the temp so its warm not hot...like 80' is a comfortable warmth...
    - Rolling Thru Life -

and not stay in it but around 30 minutes.....or his core temp will rise to the temp of the tub and be bad......but i love mine, but i'm t-12.....very relaxing and eases spasm's.....

thanks for the feedback. i just re-read my post...and i mean to say he's NOW able to walk and has some use of his left arm and hand--enough to be able to feed himself, brush his teeth and shave. not much from his right arm or hand.

i will keep him out of the hot tub until he has more time to recover!!!

If I stay in it too long I get faint/dizzy. Watch the temp and his blood pressure.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Yeah, what November said, I've lowered mine for the summer. Originaly, I put one in to push the bad blood out of my legs after they told me the valves were shot in the veins. The compression stockings and I had a bad experience, as I weld and cut a lot of steel, well,,,, there was this fire, and it was on my left leg, the,,,, umm stocking caught fire, and well you know, we had to part ways, to keep the blood from pooling in my legs the water pressure and warm water worked so..... There you go. I enjoy it, which is good because now after 8 years the valves repaired themselves to everyones astonishment, not at 53, no way Jose, but they did.
    I still don't have any feeling in my legs though, why not that? Some motor skills too?? Damn....

Thanks for sharing alhavel...i'm glad that you enjoy it. i'm willing to try anything to help my brother feel better as well. wishing you continued recovery!!

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    Yeah, what November said, I've lowered mine for the summer. Originaly, I put one in to push the bad blood out of my legs after they told me the valves were shot in the veins. The compression stockings and I had a bad experience, as I weld and cut a lot of steel, well,,,, there was this fire, and it was on my left leg, the,,,, umm stocking caught fire, and well you know, we had to part ways, to keep the blood from pooling in my legs the water pressure and warm water worked so..... There you go. I enjoy it, which is good because now after 8 years the valves repaired themselves to everyones astonishment, not at 53, no way Jose, but they did.
    I still don't have any feeling in my legs though, why not that? Some motor skills too?? Damn....
    What they never taught you the first rule of welding? : If you smell rags burning, STOP and put yourself out.