Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medically induced stress test?

I've had several since my heart attack in 2000. In comparing my experience with other people in my cardiac rehab group, you get what you expect.

Those people that went to the test thinking "oh, my god, I'm going to have a stress test and its going to hurt and I'll be sick for days"...got what they expected.

Those (like me) who went thinking "okay, so I get an IV and they give me some drugs and I get to lie on the table for awhile"...had no problems at all. Heart beat goes up a bit, other than that...no big deal...I actually took a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    I've had several since my heart attack in 2000. In comparing my experience with other people in my cardiac rehab group, you get what you expect.

Those people that went to the test thinking "oh, my god, I'm going to have a stress test and its going to hurt and I'll be sick for days"...got what they expected.

Those (like me) who went thinking "okay, so I get an IV and they give me some drugs and I get to lie on the table for awhile"...had no problems at all. Heart beat goes up a bit, other than that...no big deal...I actually took a nap.
    Thank you! I'll keep that in mind.

http://www.heartsite.com/html/chemical_stress.html

Above is a web site that talks about the chemical stress test and that a certified cardiology provider and the nuclear medicine RN monitors the test when administered.

Good Luck. Ask lots of questions, because that means you are a good consumer of health care.

pbr

Mona, my Dad got one before radiation treatments this year and he's 80. Has asthma, an abdominal aortic aneurysem and no endurance walking more than 200 feet. He got what you'll get. If the doctor or nurses think they need to slow your pulse back down they have nitroglycerin and Procardia crush capsules along with adrenalin right there in case you go too low. Other than my Dad finds any CT with his arm/s over his head to be uncomfortable he said it wasn't near as scary as he thought it would be. He also slept through part of it.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    i respectfully disagree w/GJ. it was scary as my heart was racing and it was not pleasant. that feeling only lasted maybe 15 or 20 minutes so just expect it and don't let it worry you. also, i dunno where GJ's description is pasted from, but it calls for moderate exercise. this, obviously, didn't apply to me or to most sci, i would think. i was lying down for the entire test.

btw, my results were given to me right after by the dr.
    As I stated, the information I posted was what was given to me by my cardiologist who was in attendance at the time of my test. The information was not specific to SCI and therefore, there was a reference to mild exercise that would not apply to those with mobility disabilities. I too was lying down for the entire test and there were adaptations made for my inability to stand.

I had no ill effects, no untoward sensations. As in all things medical, we are all different and will have a wide range of reactions.

I too was given the results immediately afterward by my cardiologist. In many cases, this test is given by a technologist. However, in my case, my doctor was in attendance and administered the test.

All the best,
    GJ

It was scary! I did pbr & my Dr. was fine with me discussing it in full.
    1st you have to sign saying you realize it may induce a heart attack, At that point the Dr., the ekg tech, the nurse & I had a long talk. The ekg tech said she'd been doing them 34 yrs & never a heart attack. The Dr. was there in case I did start having one! It was extremely uncomfortable! Your face turns red & you just can't breath. Not sure what my face looked like but the Dr. rushed over to me & told me to lean my chair back & do what ever you can do to feel better. It went fast. Maybe 3 minutes of freight! lol Before they started it I called on Jesus & he said the same thing to me he did when I was saved, I'll never leave you nor forget you. Jesus watched over me. I'm fine!
    I personally think it's a bad test. I don't like intentionally hurting my body. At least not any more. I've done enough.
    I get my results next week. Thanks for all your comments. You helped alot!

Im glad it is done. I was worried about scaring you, but I didnt want to lie about what it was like. My test was a very long fifteen minutes, while they all looked at the tapes and the screens. I thought It would never end.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    Im glad it is done. I was worried about scaring you, but I didnt want to lie about what it was like. My test was a very long fifteen minutes, while they all looked at the tapes and the screens. I thought It would never end.
    Good Jody! I already had mysef scared enough. lol

It was long! 2 times under the scanner for 15 mins each.
    Then all the waiting & the stress test. Total 3 hrs.

I'm glad it's over too!

You know I had that test by my cardiologist at the hospital in Ft. Worth where they did an mri on my heart. Then injected me with a drug simulating a stress test like I was running up a hill real fast. I thought my heart was going to burst! Then I had to stuff myself with breakfast & do another mri. Too see what the pressure (drug) did to my heart. All so I could have surgery & remove the stones out of my bladder. See if my heart was strong enough to go under during surgery. I went today toget my results. WOOHOO! My heart is awesome! My cardiologist who sees alot of patients said he hasn't seen results like mine in a long, long time! Yeah! He said it's a great number if under stress it calculates to be 5,000. A mathmatical equation they do on all the results. |MINE was 4,000!! He said he has patients that measure 19,000 while relaxed. So say guessing here 25,000 would be a heart attack. They couldn't handle much stress. Mine was 4,000 double product (whatever that is) & I can have alot of stress & be fine. One more test a sonogram of my heart Thursday & I can have my surgery. Well I can have it now but the sono is every 2 years & was already scheduled. YEAH!