Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conference on Light Activated Tissue Regeneration and Laser Therapy

Conference on Light Activated Tissue Regeneration and Laser Therapy

Joint NAALT and ECI Conference on Light Activated Tissue Regeneration and Laser Therapy
    Kailua-Kona, Hawaii - August 22nd - 27th, 2004

NAALT together with the ECI [Engineering Conferences International] is sponsoring a new joint conference on Light Activated Tissue Regeneration and Lase Therapy to be held August 22nd to August 27th, 2004 at the beautiful Ohana Keauhou Beach Resort in Kona, Hawaii.

Participants will discuss the latest advances and measurements in determining mechanisms of light activated tissue regeneration and therapy. Light sources, narrow and broadband, as well as the metrology and medical outcomes they produce will be discussed. Sessions will be included on theory, basic research and clinical studies and therapies. Each session will include invited and contributed papers and extensive discussion.

A poster session and sessions for educational "how to ..." will be scheduled during the afternoon time slots.

Sessions are planned on:

Theory
    Mechanisms
    Theory of Energy Delivery
    Metrology
    Photochemistry

Clinical Studies and Therapies
    Pain Relief
    Sports Injuries
    Dentistry
    Wound Healing and Tissue Repair

Basic Research - In Vivo and In Vitro
    Acceleration of Wound Repair
    Cardiovascular and Stroke Repair
    Nerve Regeneration and Axonal Guidance

Conference Co-Chairs:

Juanita Anders
    Uniformed Services University
    Dept of Anatomy, Physiology
    and Genetics

Tiina Karu
    Russian Academy of Science
    Inst. of Laser and Information Technology
    Laboratory of Laser Biology and Medicine

Ron Waynant
    FDA
    Electro-Optics Branch

http://www.thorlaser.com/hawaii/index.htm

"Together we stand, divided we fall..."

Treatment of Paralysis

Laser Therapy in North America: NAALT 2005

"How far does light travel in tissue?"
    "From your nose to your toes."
    This was the reply of James Oschman, PhD, to a question from a member of the audience at this year's annual conference of the North American Association for Laser Therapy (NAALT), held May 20-22 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Dr. Oschman has devoted his career to studying and documenting the science of energetic medicine, and was the keynote speaker at the conference. He is also a former president of the New England School of Acupuncture
    Shimon Rochkind is a world renowned Israeli neurosurgeon who has pioneered techniques for nerve regeneration and transplantation. In this writer's estimation, Dr. Rochkind is laser therapy's most likely candidate for a Nobel Prize. He has used laser therapy since the 1970s, successfully treating many cases of nerve injury and paralysis.

Dr. Rochkind presented the results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of patients with peripheral and brachial plexus injuries that had occurred from six months to several years prior to treatment. His conclusions were that even in a patient population such as this, in which injury has been present for some time, laser therapy improved neural functioning progressively and led to greater functional recovery.

Dr. Rochkind reported that laser therapy has an immediate protective effect on injured nerves and increases their functional activity. In his experience over time, it helps to maintain neurological activity, prevent scar formation and inhibit degeneration in motor neurons following injury while significantly promoting axonal growth and myelinization.

Other highlights of the conference included the following:
    Margaret Naeser, PhD, LAc, gave a comprehensive presentation of her research with laser acupuncture for the treatment of paralysis in stroke, carpal tunnel syndrome and other applications.
    http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/arch.../08rindge.html

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Faye, great timing!

I finally got to visit the Uniformed Services University this past Thursday and a seminar by Dr Shimon Rochkind from Tel Aviv was a major benefit of the timing. It's great to not only meet people working on SCI cures like Dr Juanita Anders and her staff and to see where the money goes that many of us worked so hard to pass laws to distribute.

Dr Anders introduced Jay and I and that I had been working to raise research funds as the founder of Maryland Walks. Then on to Dr Rochkind and an absolutely amazing seminar on the use of lasers in complete injuries of both peripheral nerves and the spinal cord. When I say complete I mean the rats have a 4 mm chunk of their spinal cord removed completely. It is the fore runner for the double blind work in human brachial plexus injuries that is mentioned in your posting.

Dr Rochkind came in and showed what he had done that both encouraged Dr Anders and her lab and that also created a usable in humans jump to complete injuries of certain peripheral nerves. Now he is working on complete transections of the spinal cord. Both use 780 micronometer lasers that do penetrate to the spinal cord. Dr Rochkind's paper in the journal Neurological Research, 2002, Volume 24, June goes into the use of embryonal spinal cord nerve cells used with biodegradable microcarriers (filled with growth factors in a gel to maintain the cells as they grow together) and then followed with low power laser irradiation in complete traumatic (transected) spinal cord injuries. In controlled trials adding 14 days of irradiation post operatively showed a 73% versus 44% difference in active leg movements and gait performance. 86% of those with no transplantation and no irradiation remained completely paralyzed. In numbers this was 24 rats with 11 of 15 in the first group showing major improvement, 4 of 9 in the non-irradiated group improved and all 6 of the controls remained completely paralyzed.

I also got to speak with a PhD student working on a gun shot wound model in rats for the army. They have one for the brain! Oh, and so much fun for the spousal unit, a Navy Captain started pitching Jay for the money our Governor is putting up in his budget towards a building , research and infrastructure for stem cell research. Jay turned him towards me and said that's the Pendleton who knows the senators. I now know more than I ever wanted to about what the University of Maryland needs in that area. How word got around I don't know. I made sure Dr Anders was clear that we were attending as both army veterans (which makes getting in the gates very easy) and the founders of Maryland Walks and I was not there as a member of the state board.

Another great article on the use of phototherapy or medical lasers in peripheral nerve regeneration is a joint article of Dr Rochkind, Dr Anders and Dr Stefano Geuna of the University of Turin, Italy in Neurological Research Volume 26, Number 2 March 2004. The correct laser power is shown to increase axonal growth and myelination, decrease of degeneration of neurons and decrease or prevention of scar formation. The journal Lasers in Surgery and Medicine is behind by about 9 months in publication dates so the double blind brachial plexus study in humans quoted below is the newest to hit the stands. This study used our favorite measurements of 0 to 5 on the strength test and not measurements that had no functional outcome for the patient.

I would like to say that the NIH, FDA and the scientific journals consider laser accupuncture to be a much different therapy than medical lasers used for eye sight correction, fine in the brain surgery and experimental work in nervous systems.

I would like to thank Dr Juanita Anders for inviting Jay and I down to her lab on this special day. We had lunch (and believe me Navy food beats Army any day) with her, Dr Shimon Rochkind , an engineer from NIH who is helping to discover the mechanism of how lasers work so more money can go to laser research and a FDA official I believe who was there for personal reasons.

After lunch the NIH and FDA guys left and the rest of us went on a tour of the lab and to meet Dr Anders section boss, Dr Pollard. There seemed a general agreement that the fiasco in Korea would not hurt research in the areas where people know what was really going on. In a country where most traumas are from shrapnel I asked Dr Rockhkind about the use of methylprednisolone and he said most surgeons use it as the benefits outweigh the possible complications which are not documented. Dr Rochkind is a neurosurgeon BTW. As for questions on expanding cells or any new regulations on cellular work Dr Pollard was more of the opinion that the FDA was more into blocking xenografts of all kinds even while there is a long history of pig valves for heart surgery, pig skin used in pressure sores, animal insulin and hormones, etc.

Questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Shimon Rochkind is a world renowned Israeli neurosurgeon who has pioneered techniques for nerve regeneration and transplantation. In this writer's estimation, Dr. Rochkind is laser therapy's most likely candidate for a Nobel Prize. He has used laser therapy since the 1970s, successfully treating many cases of nerve injury and paralysis.

Dr. Rochkind presented the results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of patients with peripheral and brachial plexus injuries that had occurred from six months to several years prior to treatment. His conclusions were that even in a patient population such as this, in which injury has been present for some time, laser therapy improved neural functioning progressively and led to greater functional recovery.

Dr. Rochkind reported that laser therapy has an immediate protective effect on injured nerves and increases their functional activity. In his experience over time, it helps to maintain neurological activity, prevent scar formation and inhibit degeneration in motor neurons following injury while significantly promoting axonal growth and myelinization.

Other highlights of the conference included the following:
    Margaret Naeser, PhD, LAc, gave a comprehensive presentation of her research with laser acupuncture for the treatment of paralysis in stroke, carpal tunnel syndrome and other applications.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 01-19-2006 at 05:21 PM.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Laser Therapy in North America: NAALT 2005

"How far does light travel in tissue?"
    This was the reply of James Oschman, PhD, to a question from a member of the audience at this year's annual conference of the North American Association for Laser Therapy (NAALT), held May 20-22 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Dr. Oschman has devoted his career to studying and documenting the science of energetic medicine, and was the keynote speaker at the conference. He is also a former president of the New England School of Acupuncture
    Faye,

We are all for anyone interested in any form of energetic therapies or medicine empowering themselves by exploring this area of science. James L. Oschman http://www.energyresearch.bizland.com/, whom you quote, has written two books that explain the science of how our bodies generate and utilize energy. He has presented factual information as to how light really does travel from your nose to your toes. Both great reads!

Energy Medicine: in therapeutics and human performance

Energety Medicine: the scientific basis

However interesting and true the quote you are using is, it seems out of context with the other information that you are sharing. Is he involved with this research group?

Also, who is the man in the photo?

We are somewhat confused how laser light which penetrates to a depth of 1/4 to 3/8ths of an inch can be used to treat a human spinal cord. It makes sense that it could reach deep enough to effect a rat or mouse cord due to thier size but how deep would it need to penetrate to reach the spinal cord of a human?

Perhaps a better question would be; how powerful would the laser need to be in order to penetrate to the depth of a human spinal cord and what would the collateral damage be to the surrounding tissues?

NRGized
    www.energeticfitness.net

Bump due to editting.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    Bump due to editting.
    Excuse Me? What does this mean?

Sue, thanks for the write-up about meeting Dr. Shimon Rochkind!

Interesting results with the laser.

The correct laser power is shown to increase axonal growth and myelination, decrease of degeneration of neurons and decrease or prevention of scar formation.......This study used our favorite measurements of 0 to 5 on the strength test and not measurements that had no functional outcome for the patient
    I so agree. There are too many studies reporting improvements which do not measure real functional outcome.

In controlled trials adding 14 days of irradiation post operatively showed a 73% versus 44% difference in active leg movements and gait performance. 86% of those with no transplantation and no irradiation remained completely paralyzed.
    Please let me know when he will be visiting again.
    I have great admiration for Dr. Anders too, and would love to meet her too.

Thanks,
    Faye

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Dear Sue,

We're happy that you could meet Dr Anders and Dr Rochkind whom we met in Reykjavik (Dr Rochkind). Shimon Rochkind is a neurosurgeon and researcher of considerable merit. We're also glad to read that his works, together with Juanita Anders', give results because they credit the techniques based on laser whatever they are, and offer a possibility of treatment with or without embryonic stem cells or olfactive or autologous cells.

With the collaboration of three French universities, my 5th generation of laser is in process. This specific laser will give us information of what happens in the body before, during and after a laser session. We'll be able to publish a thorough iconography.

Albert

------------------

Francais / French :

Chere Sue,

Nous sommes contents que vous ayez pu rencontre le Dr Anders et le Dr Rochkind que nous avons croise a Reykjavik. Shimon Rochkind est un neurchirurgien et un chercheur de tres grande valeur. Nous sommes heureux de voir que ses travaux, en collaboration avec Juanita Anders, donnent des resultats car cela credibilise les techniques a base de laser, quelles qu'elles soient, mais dont la globalite offre une opportunite de traitement pour les blesses medullaires avec et sans l'adjonction de cellules souches, embryonnaires, ou autologues.

En association avec trois universites francaises, nous nous lancons dans la fabrication du laser de 5e generation qui nous permettra d'avoir des informations sur ce qui se passe a l'interieur du corps avant, pendant et après les seances de laserponcture. Nous pourrons donc publier de l'iconographie.

Albert

Quote Originally Posted by NRGized
    Excuse Me? What does this mean?
    It means I just added a line in a new post so the thread would go to the top of the page. Since I editted my post to add to it and didn't begin a new one the post would have stayed on page 2 and fewer people would have seen it.

Sue, thanks for the write-up about meeting Dr. Shimon Rochkind!

Interesting results with the laser.

I so agree. There are too many studies reporting improvements which do not measure real functional outcome.

Please let me know when he will be visiting again.
    I have great admiration for Dr. Anders too, and would love to meet her too.

Thanks,
    Faye
    It is so much easier when working with humans who can give you real feedback. Although the trial was on traumatic peripheral injuries involving the brachial plexus and not on the cord itself the beginning range for the treated group was 0.5 to 1.5 and those went up to 3.0 to 3.5. In other words, movement against gravity. These are also painful injuries and often occur with SCIs when motorcycles are added. Having two working arms makes paraplegics independent in the majority of cases.

The rat trial results where he cut through the cords and used the biodegradeable microcarriers with the embryonal nerve cells were visable by the musculature of the legs and fine movement of the toes and feet in general. Untreated rats show the atrophy that we see in flacid paraplegics.

Dr Rochkind mentioned the next conference he would be attending after the one the following day would be in Cypress. I'll be on a cruise ship just north of there on those dates! I wish I could just commandeer a Zodiac lifeboat and zoom into the beach. For more information, including a request for those who wish to set up a satelite connection, go to:
    http://www.walt2006.com/

Albert, may I ask if your new laser will show the mechanism of what happens that causes the changes or will it just enable you to see the changes? It seems the big question is HOW does a laser work to speed healing and also change the damaged environment.

NRG, there appears to be no collateral damage when lasers set at the correct current(?) are used. Much like lasik eye surgery the need to find the ideal laser and micronometers is done carefully and in rats a fiber optic cable was used to test if the laser penetrated far enough to help.

Although it seems most of these seminars are for cosmetic purposes you may find some information here that may help answer your questions:
    http://www.lasertraining.org/schedule.htm

Faye, I'll ask her next time we speak if she'll be in your area soon. If not she also has patients visit her lab on occassion although they tend to be veterans. Are you going to be attending the TM Symposium in Baltimore in July?