Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conference on Light Activated Tissue Regeneration and Laser Therapy

Sue, You previously posted:

NRG, there appears to be no collateral damage when lasers set at the correct current(?) are used. Much like lasik eye surgery the need to find the ideal laser and micronometers is done carefully and in rats a fiber optic cable was used to test if the laser penetrated far enough to help.

In your previous post, you mentioned that both doctors/researchers use 780 micronometer lasers. Do you know thier source or manufacturer for the laser(s)? And you are right, this is fascinating research. Please keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    Albert, may I ask if your new laser will show the mechanism of what happens that causes the changes or will it just enable you to see the changes? It seems the big question is HOW does a laser work to speed healing and also change the damaged environment.
    Sue,

The purpose is indeed to observe the mechanism of what happens that causes the changes. The new laser will be equipped with screens that will enable me to visualize the information.

Albert

New Laser?

Quote Originally Posted by albert bohbot
    Sue,

The purpose is indeed to observe the mechanism of what happens that causes the changes. The new laser will be equipped with screens that will enable me to visualize the information.

Albert
    You mention a new laser, what kind? What makes it new?

NRGized

Quote Originally Posted by NRGized
    The new laser will be equipped with screens that will enable me to visualize the information.
    NRG

Within official facilities an experimental protocol is being set up so as to apply laser right after the surgery or a few days after. Also sensors will provide additional information.

Albert

NRG

Within official facilities an experimental protocol is being set up so as to apply laser right after the surgery or a few days after. Also sensors will provide additional information.

Albert
    Albert,

If you can tell me, is this new laser manufactured in France? By whom or does it have a name?

NRgized

Quote Originally Posted by NRGized
    Albert,

If you can tell me, is this new laser manufactured in France? By whom or does it have a name?

NRgized
    NRG,

My laser and the next one are manufactured by French universities - each one competent in its field - according to my specificities . It is named after me and its specifics are confidential because funded by the French state.

Albert

Additional information regarding the new laser

Some of our US patients contacted us to know when this new laser would be ready. I want to underline here that an experimental protocol is being set up with a university hospital. It will consists of applying laser right after the accident at the patient's bedside while s/he is still in the extensive care unit and as quickly as possible.

It is estimated that the protocol will last one year and a half and we think the results will be published quickly after. The new laser will be an improved version of the current one but only in relation to imaging and not in its power capacity. The capacity of the treatment is already acquired. The results obtained so far have proved it. The purpose of this study will be to observe if an early application of laser on sci will enable individuals to keep functions which are lost in the classic sci model.

We'll keep you updated as to when it begins. But as you understood it, this laser will be applied to the newly spinal cord injured people.

Albert Bohbot

--------------------
    French / Francais :

Complement d'information sur le nouveau laser :
    Certains de nos patients americains nous ont contacte pour savoir quand ce nouveau laser serait pret. Nous tenons a preciser qu'un protocole experimental est en voie d'elaboration avec un hopital universitaire pour appliquer le laser sur des blesses medullaires tout de suite apres l'accident au sortir de la reanimation et au plus pres de J1.

Nous pensons que ce protocole durera 1 an et demi et que les resultats seront publies tout de suite apres. Le nouveau laser sera une version amelioree du laser actuel mais uniquement en imagerie et non pas en capacite de soins. La capacite de traitement etant largement acquise avec le laser actuel. Les resultats obtenus a l'heure actuelle en sont la preuve. Le but de ce protocole sera d'observer si une application precoce du laser sur des blesses medullaires permet de conserver des fonctions qui sont perdues dans le schema classique actuel.

Des son commencement, nous vous informerons. Mais comme vous l'avez compris, il est reserve a ceux qui, dans le futur, vont devenir blesse medullaire.

Albert Bohbot

My sincere apologies to the following for what I can only attribute to the effects of valium and brain farts it is known to cause (and to think I used to have a memory that could be hellish):

The engineer was Daryl Tata from NIH who is working with the FDA on the mechanisms of lasers in this particular use. His boss while under the FDA at USU, actually the head of Optics Branch for the FDA is Ron Wayant. Ron is an optics physicist. So they were both there as the team working on lasers as Dr Rochkind is.

And the last person I forgot entirely, probably from personal hopes, was Dr Bill Bolger. Dr Bolger is an ENT (ears, nose and throat) doctor who has worked with patients at Walter Reed who were kind enough to donate some of their olfactory bulb cells when their operations involved that area. Bill went on to tell us something I had heard from someone in no way connected with this project and I thought was probably an exaggeration. When the research the OE cells would be used in was explained to the patients not ONE turned him down. All signed informed consent papers. Several later asked him when he checked back on them how "their cells" were doing he felt horrible telling a few that he didn't need to go up that far and so none of their smell cells were part of a project to restore movement in paralyzed people. The patients were crushed that they weren't a part of this project. Dr Bolger has also done a fantastic job of getting the OEs out without the terribly serious brain surgery many thought this was going to entail when OEs were first shown to help in regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    I finally got to visit the Uniformed Services University this past Thursday and a seminar by Dr Shimon Rochkind from Tel Aviv was a major benefit of the timing. It's great to not only meet people working on SCI cures like Dr Juanita Anders and her staff

....I would like to thank Dr Juanita Anders for inviting Jay and I down to her lab on this special day. We had lunch (and believe me Navy food beats Army any day) with her, Dr Shimon Rochkind , an engineer from NIH who is helping to discover the mechanism of how lasers work so more money can go to laser research and a FDA official I believe who was there for personal reasons.

After lunch the NIH and FDA guys left and the rest of us went on a tour of the lab and to meet Dr Anders section boss, Dr Pollard. There seemed a general agreement that the fiasco in Korea would not hurt research in the areas where people know what was really going on. In a country where most traumas are from shrapnel I asked Dr Rockhkind about the use of methylprednisolone and he said most surgeons use it as the benefits outweigh the possible complications which are not documented. Dr Rochkind is a neurosurgeon BTW. As for questions on expanding cells or any new regulations on cellular work Dr Pollard was more of the opinion that the FDA was more into blocking xenografts of all kinds even while there is a long history of pig valves for heart surgery, pig skin used in pressure sores, animal insulin and hormones, etc.

Questions?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Update

Sue

I'll take part to the World Association of Laser Therapy meeting next October and I'll be able to meet up with Drs. Anders and Byrnes who will speak the same day as I do (Oct. 26th).

I attached the scientific program (more information on www.walt2006.com).

Albert

Sue

I'll take part to the World Association of Laser Therapy meeting next October and I'll be able to meet up with Drs. Anders and Byrnes who will speak the same day as I do (Oct. 26th).

I attached the scientific program (more information on www.walt2006.com).

Albert
    Very good news!

Should be a very interesting meeting with all the most knowledgeable doctors gathered!!

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl