Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got my new wheelchair!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Congrats!

Though you had little input into what you got, I hope you really enjoy it. From my limited experience, TiLite makes good chairs, and the AeroX has numerous adjustments you can tweak to make it fit you well. And you did choose a great color.

I presume you can walk a bit because of the footrest style you have. Am I right?

Personally I don't like having armrests. My DME ordered them, but I took them off (mounts and all).

Why is your cushion 2" longer than your seat depth?

What would you have liked in a chair that you didn't get?

I'm full of questions tonight - sorry.

I like your shirt; it's a good color, too.

Aside from the tires I'm not sure what options were available. I talked very little because I was not asked questions or offered this or that. I really just didn't know what options were available. It IS a good chair and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by scottc74 View Post
    It IS a good chair and I like it.
    Great!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Congratulations @scottc74. I don't think that others not in ta chair (or someone close to them) can ever appreciate how important a good chair is.

We are 3 years into it, and as the wife of someone in a not good wheelchair, I feel so thrilled to think that we will be getting something soon that works (I hope). I hope your new chair works for you.

I totally agree with “I want to use it until I lose it” with a manual. My husband was almost forced to get a power chair, and consequently, has a crap manual that he uses all the time (and not the power chair).

I like the "rootbeer" colour. Even if you are not crazy about the wheel colour, it does have a bit of "rootbeer float" feel to it. Kind of fun.

All my best. Happy floating....
    Last edited by elarson; 06-19-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Congratulations @scottc74. I don't think that others not in ta chair (or someone close to them) can ever appreciate how important a good chair is.

We are 3 years into it, and as the wife of someone in a not good wheelchair, I feel so thrilled to think that we will be getting something soon that works (I hope). I hope your new chair works for you.

I totally agree with “I want to use it until I lose it” with a manual. My husband was almost forced to get a power chair, and consequently, has a crap manual that he uses all the time (and not the power chair).

I like the "rootbeer" colour. Even if you are not crazy about the wheel colour, it does have a bit of "rootbeer float" feel to it. Kind of fun.

All my best. Happy floating....
    Good luck to you both in getting a new chair. I actually never thought about a rootbeer float feeling. I too never realized how important a good and well fitting chair makes a difference. I am just happy that I found THIS forum and wish that I read more sooner.

Congrats on your chair!! I also had to argue against those who thought a power chair was a better option for me. I also want to be able to "use it until I lose it"! I'm working up towards being MORE active right now, a power chair would have made me less.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Use It Or Lose It...a manual chair helps!

[QUOTE=scottc74;1544936]Hi Everyone,
    I’m VERY happy to say that I got my new wheelchair. At the seating clinic fitting I was disappointed when the therapist (not the DME as I would have thought) tried to convince me to get an electric wheelchair. I felt that when I rolled into the room (in a standard wheelchair) I did OK aside from the chair being too big for me. I said to her “I want to use it until I lose it”. Anyway, I stood my ground and she finally accepted it.

Hey Scottc74, good onya mate for standing your ground.

I have beckar's MD and I was also told to get a power chair. I initially bought a small cheap power chair until I figured out what manual chair would suit me. I later went on to get a manual chair realising my need to keep moving under my own steam was a huge priority. I actually had to be forceful in my arguments with my physio. etc. on this subject.

Every time you go to doctor you will always see some poster or pamphlet about "use it or lose it" I have pretty much taken that as good advice and have tried to do exactly that, while i was still walking AND now in the wheelchair.

Sure, If you just don't have the strength to push yourself around or you know that one day you will need a power chair, get a power chair, until then though use a manual chair, keep your strength up and in turn stay as healthy as possible. yep "use it or lose it".

I have no idea why some people in the health industry think its a good idea that you lose any function you had left and give up??

NEVER, I'LL NEVER GIVE UP!
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.