Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Ways of Hiding Leg Bags

Question Current Ways of Hiding Leg Bags

After 17 years of straight cathing TID, it looks like change may be coming. In late 2009 and 2011 I had a cystoscopy (sp?) to clean out scar tissue in my urethra. It's now eight months since my last procedure and for the last two weeks we have hardly been able to get a catheter in.

My urologist has been really dragging his heels this time, but it sounds like he's going to do an indwelling foley for a week or two and then switch to a larger tube for another few weeks. With my past surgeries, I only had the indwelling in for 3-4 days, so I just stayed home. This time is different though, plus it's summer when I'm outside in shorts a lot. Therefore, I need a way to hide the leg bag.

I have searched a few times for this topic, but the latest entry that came up was 2010. It suggested thigh or sports bags, but the links went to dead pages and searching for such bags came up empty. So, what is available now? Can I make do without cutting holes in my pants? I also wear fairly short shorts, like an inch or two above my knees. It's just more comfortable to me and I can see my feet so I know what I'm not running into.

For my fellow "ancient" gimps, what recommendations do you have to decrease scar tissue build up? I would much prefer to keep using intermittent cathing, but I don't know if that will be a possibility. Thanks in advance.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I use a foley when traveling, and just wear the bag on my thigh if I am wearing a skirt and on my calf for pants. (Obviously, you won;t be wearing a skirt, but cargo shorts have plenty of room.)

There were a lot of threads about wearing a bag with shorts, and one popped up recently, I will see if I can find them.

Be sure the bag has good straps, fabric and velcro NOT plastic. In fact they make fabric bag holders that I have recently found, sort of like a sock, with a pocket.

try these:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...shorts+leg+bag

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...shorts+leg+bag

The bag I use, and was recommended somewhere here is this one:
    http://www.healthproductsforyou.com/...ic-straps.html

It comes with soft fabric straps.

This: http://www.athomemedical.com/search/...ley-strap.aspx
    will hold the catheter to your leg, so it doesn't slip.

Depending on the length of your shorts, it might show tho. Cargo shorts would work well, but gym shorts, not so much.
    Last edited by sjean423; 06-18-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks, I don't know why those didn't come up in my search. The belly bag looks like a good option, but as the one post said, I don't have enough belly to hide it.

They were way back, but I expected them to be several years old, so I just kept scrolling. I knew when I first looked for something to use when traveling. There should be more. Try searching for posts about leg bags and shorts by jazzy Jeff. I think he posted a picture at one time, it would help isolate the conversation.

I haven't tried a belly bag, I don't we're anything short enough that I can't hide they bag.

Eta just did an advanced search, and came up with several ..... Search for leg bag and shorts, posted by 2jazzyjeff. There a quite a few threads with the discussion that he posted in.
    Last edited by sjean423; 06-19-2012 at 12:30 AM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I have to have a large bag to last all day. Would a 2,000 cc bag fit on my thigh under shorts?

I think the belly bag was full size, I doubt that large of one would fit in shorts.

Trainman
    I dont know if you are able to tell when you need to cath or not so this might not help you but when I was wearing the indwelling I just stuck the plug in the end and when i got the feeling to cath just pulled the plug and went in the plastic bottle I carry in my pack. No leg bag to worry about hiding that way. On another note I am sorry to hear that your scar tissue issue is back. As you know I had the same thing done about three months ago and so far so good. Only bad thing from the whole procedure was I picked up an ecoli based UTI the first week of using the indwelling and as of today i am still not able to shake it. Been taking Cipro twice a day for over two months and the thing is still hanging around. I would guess I have a stone in either the bladder or kidney that is providing a lovely home for the little bastards.

I would like to know how you empty a bag on your thigh or belly. I wear legbags on my calf, and just release the lower strap (with my foot on the toilet) to empty into the toilet.

How is the tube in a thigh bag long enough to enable that? (emptying into a toilet, I mean).

I don't know if it's a good idea to have your urine flowing uphill which it would with a belly bag.

I would go with the thigh bag under shorts.

I thought the same Timaru, but apparently it has one-way valves that prevent it from back flow and still drains well.

Sorry to hear about the infection nevada, this thing started up again my last day of an antibiotic for a UTI. It took four days for my urologist to get a culture done, but my UTI is still hanging around as well.

Unfortunately, I can only tell when I need to go when I REALLY have to go, and that's due to the severe AD. This latest problem has had a few occasions with severe AD and an obviously full bladder, but my assistants can't get the catheter in. Last night took about 1.5 hours to finally get a tube inserted for relief.