Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coloring hair

Coloring hair

My natural hair color is dark brown. I had highlights put in it a few months ago. The high lights had faded and the roots were showing and it didn't look good any longer. So I decided to put dark brown hair color on it today, but it is black. Is there a simply way that I can lighten my hair back to the natural dark brown that it is supposed to be?

My only advice is...be careful.

When one of my sons was about 16, he spent too much time in the sun. In addition to a bad burn, his hair went from brown to blond. He was afraid his friends would make fun of him, so he tried to dye it brown...and it turned out black. So he got another lighter color and tried again. This time, it came out red.

IMHO, let it grow back naturally...

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    My only advice is...be careful.

When one of my sons was about 16, he spent too much time in the sun. In addition to a bad burn, his hair went from brown to blond. He was afraid his friends would make fun of him, so he tried to dye it brown...and it turned out black. So he got another lighter color and tried again. This time, it came out red.

IMHO, let it grow back naturally...

I agree! I stopped coloring my hair years ago. I'm 35 and have about 40% grey hair. I inherited it from my father and I refuse to dye it. I get more compliments on my silver streaks than I ever did while dying it. People always ask where I got my platinum highlights. Lol. If you don't want to wait for the natural process then you might talk to a professional hair stylist in your area about getting it as close to your natural color as possible.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Yes, be careful!
    If it were me, I would get the highlights again, and wait for the dark color to fade. That is how I stopped coloring my hair a few years ago. I wanted to see it go grey. I still highlight my hair, because it is too dark for me, and I am not as fortunate as offroaderswife. I don't have enough grey to enjoy it. Just a few sparkles here and there. The highlights give it the umph it needs.

put some baking soda in your shampoo, this will help the color start to fade faster, but other than that you either need to wait for it to grow out or have a professional help you.

color does not lift color, so whatever you do, don't think that another storebought haircolor will lift it out of your hair to it's beginning shade.

storebought dyes are super strong and often darker than the box indicates because the manufacturer has to ensure the potency for however long they sit on the shelf, and then yout bathroom sink getting dusty.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Thanks for the advice on here. I have been doing a little research on this and I have decided not to do anything else to my hair. I tried coloring it with store bought hair dye a couple of times and it never turned out right. If I used a brown shade, it would turn an auburn color. If I used a blonde shade, it would turn orange. I ended up having to have it fixed at the beauty school last time I tried to color it lighter. I knew coloring it darker wouldn't be as difficult, but I was hoping I could do something to help lighten it up quicker. I guess my best bet is to just shampoo it twice daily to help get the color to fade quicker.

And never, ever use a tar based, anti-dandruff shampoo within a week of coloring, minimum. The old oxychloride butynin dried out my hair, scalp and skin so bad it gave me dandruff that I finally talked to a doctor about. He told me about the drug causing it. So used T-Gel and a few days later had my semi-permenant coloring updated. Lets just say I suddenly had two colors of hair. The hair nearest my scalp was a lot lighter than the rest. The colorist immediately tried to fix it as soon as she saw it dry. Took 2 tries and we settled on streaks all the way through after redoing the lighter top with a matching light color. Seems sometimes if you layer light on light you get a shade or two darker. At least I looked like I'd just gotten off a sunny cruise. Thank you whoever invented Ditropan XL!
    Has anyone stained their sinks doing their own hair? I can do my own fairly well because a good friend actually works in the industry of training colorists.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

also-

the school of thought on dandruff shampoos like prell and head and shoulders being used to help remove over aggressive hair color is that they are so opposite from the hair dye on the ph scale, that it is supposed to help the color bleed from the hair, but the real situation is that nothing other than bleach or a bleach alternative is going to be able to lift the cuticle layers on the hair shaft in order to lift the pigments you've deposited with a permanent hair dye.

permanent hair dyes over the counter, or from the salon, work in 2 phases though, they deposit color in the hair strand (under the cuticle) and coat the shaft as well. a mild alkaline cleanser like baking soda will help remove this second outside coating and won't affect your scalp, etc. You can leave it on longer, like by making a paste with the shampoo and evenly coating your 'do, or just lather in daily and it should gradually help you along the way. (just makie sure and condition afterwards)

If you went into the salon, this is what a good hairdresser would do before recoloring you, as it safely removes residuals without damaging the hair, therefore making her job of color correction easier. Professional color strippers that you can buy at sally's and the like are not a good idea, and will not remove just what you want, they'll also remove whatever your previous stylist used to tone your highlights, whatever she used to cover your grey, etc.

I would never advise someone to use anything that wasn't 150% foolproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Seems sometimes if you layer light on light you get a shade or two darker.
    yep! color doesn't lift other color, it just deposits.

I am so glad you all shared that about Head and Shoulder shampoo. I use it often due to having dandruff.