Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable shower chair

Portable shower chair

Hello friends,
    I will be heading out for a trip soon and will be staying in a cabin. The cabin is new and wheelchair accessible (so they say) but there is no shower chair in the shower. We are traveling by motorcycle and will be pulling a small enclosed trailer with my chair and our other gear. I need to quickly find a portable shower chair that breaks down and won't take up too much room as we are already cramped for space. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Wow; para biker chick, huh? hot!! lol...Take a look at www.GoesAnywhere.com. My inventions

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

LOL. I'm just the passenger. My husband is the hot biker! Thank you for the link. I appreciate your response.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

How far will you be from a walmart or hardware store? Why not buy a plastic chair and then just leave behind or toss in the trash. If you're looking for something you can take on all your travels, look at www.nuprodx.com

goldnucs product is awesome.

but, if you want something so cheap it's almost use and throw away I saw a folding shower chair in here that was (I think) about $30. The thing had no wheels or anything but it did fold down into the back of the seat part.

I cant remember the thread or who started it but i was dumbstruck at how cheap this thing was.

OR

I'm gonna try this one day...get a big sheet of that builders plastic, drape it right over your wheelchair (possibly leave your cusshion off) and go for it. Putting your everyday wheelchair in the shower is totally unadvisable but once or twice on a trip and you are really careful, it'd have to work.

Hey goldnucs, im heading off for a holiday myself in the next few weeks, takin' my goesanywhere as always mate!
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    I'm gonna try this one day...get a big sheet of that builders plastic, drape it right over your wheelchair (possibly leave your cusshion off) and go for it. Putting your everyday wheelchair in the shower is totally unadvisable but once or twice on a trip and you are really careful, it'd have to work.
    I bought a cheap round plastic table cloth and it works fine for covering the chair in the shower.

I also use the same table cloth when when my hubby needs his hair/beard trimmed. I cut a slit in it 1/2 way and a round hole in the center for his neck. Just make sure you overlap the edges when using it for the shower.

Although unadvisable, I am also looking to get a carbon fibre back/seat plate so we can use his next wheelchair in the shower if needed on vacation with a Stimulite (washable) cushion.

I hate lugging a lot of stuff around
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

heya elarson, yes agree we hate lugging all this stuff around just to go away for a few days.

your plastic table cloth idea is a very good one.

You and your hubby's sitution is a lot like ours. I am pretty healthy but need help getting around.

I hope you dont mind me asking this: The last thing my wife and I need to get past is getting me onto a toilet. At home I have a very good solid invacare shower and toilet chair so there is no need to get me on the toilet, but on holidays we have to lug the extra (although great) portable shower chair so I can do number two's.

How do you guys get around this? i mean is tranfering to a toilet safe and easy??

I swear if we can get past this toilet issue we will be able to go anywhere and not even worry about taking a shower/toilet chair.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    ... Why not buy a plastic chair and then just leave behind or toss in the trash...[/url]
    I used one in a pinch when my wife came home from the hospital after her first serious pressure sore. For a cushion, I duct taped a cheap orange life vest to the bottom. Could work on the toilet seat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    How do you guys get around this? i mean is tranfering to a toilet safe and easy??

I swear if we can get past this toilet issue we will be able to go anywhere and not even worry about taking a shower/toilet chair.
    We have not got around this either yet. So far we have only been staying at places with accessible toilets. Even if the hotel room does not have one, often they have one in the lobby, or we scout out one nearby and plan well.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I just saw this relatively cheap $79 ROHO cushion that I think would work well for travelling and in the shower on a not comfortable chair http://www.sportaid.com/roho-ltv-seat-cushion.html. Has anyone tried it?