Thread: backyard surfacing

backyard surfacing

Hi, there.

Our backyard is about 50' x 70', and I'd like to build some kind of accessible playground for my son who is 14-yr old w/ T10 SCI. We are living in Ontario, Canada where the winter is around 6 months long and it is cold with lots of snow.

I am researching the playground surfacing options, and just wondering do you have any recommendations? thanks.

Leo

You are putting in a playground for a 14 yo? Is that what he wants? At his age I would think he might be interested in a basketball half court, pool, or something like that rather than a playground. What features/equipment are you planning to install?

(KLD)

yes, a basketball half court and some walkways throughout backyard is what we'd like to have. Pool is out of our considerations.

Leo

Might want to talk to your local university or school system for the best surface for a court in an area that gets that cold. Asphalts with acrylic surfaces are definitely out. I can't find it online but there is a mix that includes freeze dried old tires that then are shattered and ground and that keeps the surface from buckling from the cold. It might have been asphalt or a cement. Just acrylic stains terribly from...bicycle and, most likely, wheeler skids and needs a ton of upkeep. I can't believe the maintanence the condos next door do to keep an acylic finished tennis court looking decent. It has to be swept daily too. And check into drainage for the unfinished areas between walkways for the spring melt. Maybe add a built in brick grill for the entire family at the opposite end if your son's friends homes are very accessible.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.