Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which group or forum would be best? :)

Smile Which group or forum would be best? :)

I have been incontenent now four years, I have started useing an indwelling foley cath. I do not have a spinal cord injury, I have diabetic neropothy. I would like to be able to talk about any concerns or issues with this foley cath with people that would know what I am talking about...Thank you very much and have a great day.

Welcome to the Care Cure Community, "Star_Gazer.

The Care forum is a good place for your questions and discussion about foley catheters.

All the best,
    GJ

Talking

Thank you very much, being that this is my first few weeks now with a cath, it has been odd to say, but I feel like I have some controll now not my illness. I look forward to reading others comments and posts it is always good to know your not allone in what we go through in out jouny in life... Please forgive my spelling it is awfull..

We recommend intermittent cathterizastion every 4-6 hours if can be done. an indwellign catheter over the long run - you will not be able to switch back because the bladder can shrink over time and not hold the amount it should. However if you are happy with it and it solves your problem then it is good.
    CWO

Blog Entries
    As CWO said, long time use of a foley will allow your bladder to shrink. Whenever I have to use one, I keep it clamped off until I get the little tingle that lets me know that I have 2 - 300ml, and then allow my bladder to drain. As long as you can tell when you need to void, that should work for you.

Good luck, and welcome to CareCure.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Thank you very much for the information, I have no feeling of needing to void it seems like it grew a mind of its own...now after four years and finaly being dry and what little that does leak isn't much that is only during a spasm. I have alot to get used to i guess this is only my 3rd week.

Welcome to the forum Star_Gazer .
    I wonder if using an external catheter then doing a intermittant cath would work to keep your bladder from shrinking??

Maybe one of the nurses might know better.
    Also I am originally from KY . Still have family in Junction CIty and Louisville..

Gary
    T-10 ,,1980,,

Smile

That is awsome gary, i am about 3 hrs from louisville and junction city, I did try the condom cath but no luck was not very reliable to say...the shrinkage doesn't bother me because the bladder hasn't worked for four years so let it get small lol.. I do pay close attention to cleanlyness and drink more water than I used to as well. I have read some posts where diet helps alot as well, but no one is saying what changes to do and what the change helps....I am just happy now I have some control that I have not had in 4 years, and that is awsome I did not realize how much I truely missed it till now....I will say ounce this cath was put in my spasms are no where near as bad I realy think that the first cath had something to do with it...The difference is like night and day....It is nice of you to post Gary and hope to read more of what advice you may have in the future thanks a million.

I started using a foley catheter with my doctors approval three years ago for much the same reasons as you. Yes it does take some getting used to and a few lifestyle adjustments but overall I am very satisfied with it. I know that I would not want to go back to the way I was before I had it.

Hi Star-Gazer

I have been using a foley for over a year now and went to a super pubic one in January 2012 which I like much beter. There is a new catheter out by Poiesismedical call the Duette foley. It is a silicone catheter which has two ballons the regular one and one at the end. The second baloon keeps the end of the foley from diging into the bladder and causing injury. I have been use the duette for two month now ande have not had any problems with it no pain or irratition and no UTi's. I will have my bladder scoped on my next change Aug 8 to see the difference between the regular catheter and the duette. I will post more information after the next scan to see how my bladder is doing.