Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking someone to bring some food when they stay here

Asking someone to bring some food when they stay here

Can anyone advise me on the best approach to this and if you want to say something stupid, rude or hateful, you can just go on.

I need to know a polite way to ask a friend if she would start bringing some things to eat since she eats at my place four times a week. I don't mind her eating what I have on Wednesdays because she helps me with laundry so I feel like I'm paying her back by cooking for her on Wednesdays. I only get $54 in foodstamps and now have my niece staying with me during the week for the summer. $54 isn't even enough to feed me for the entire month let alone two other people. My friend gets close to $200 in foodstamps and isn't even home to eat from Sunday morning until Wednesday evening. She owed me money awhile back from where we ate out and I suggested she could buy me some food items with her foodstamps instead of having to pay me cash. But she said she couldn't do that because her dad, step mom and step brother uses ALL of her foodstamps every month.

I want to ask her if she could buy some $1 tv dinners or the inexpensive serving size pizzas or some cans of ravioli or something like that. But I don't know how to bring this topic up. She wouldn't need to use more that $15 to $20 of her own foodstamps. I feel she could also occassionally buy some things like garlic bread or cheese sticks that we could eat together.

why don't you just ask her for the cash back then?

"Hey... remember when I covered your part of the tab at (wherever you ate), I could really use that cash by the (insert date)."

As for your neice, if she's living with you, even part of the week, you should just let her know that her share of the incidentals (food, toilet paper, soap, etc is $x.xx and is due by (date)

I'm not being rude and I normally don't comment on your posts, but you seem to make things too hard on yourself.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    why don't you just ask her for the cash back then?

"Hey... remember when I covered your part of the tab at (wherever you ate), I could really use that cash by the (insert date)."

As for your neice, if she's living with you, even part of the week, you should just let her know that her share of the incidentals (food, toilet paper, soap, etc is $x.xx and is due by (date)

I'm not being rude and I normally don't comment on your posts, but you seem to make things too hard on yourself.
    Thank you for your advice. My friend paid me the cash back that she owed me. I had just suggested she use the foodstamps instead of using cash since she was tight on money. My niece is only 15 so having her help with anything moneywise isn't an option. I love her company and am so glad she gets to stay with me for the summer.

Just tell your friend and niece's parents the truth. Your food stamp allotment has been cut in half and you can no longer afford to feed anyone but your self.

If she is a friend she must understand that this is financially difficult for you. I always think the most straight forward approach is best, even if it feels dreadfully awkward. I would probably say something like "my food stamps are running low, could you pick up something for us all to share occasionally because this is too big a financial burden for me."
    Wishing you luck, as these situations are never easy.

I agree...the truth is best. And I know it can be very hard to do. Is your niece's parents able to help out any? If not.....whenever we've been in tight situations...Ramen noodles. Maybe not the healthiest, but you don't go hungry. I'm afraid we've had to live on those, mac and cheese, hot dogs, and complete pancake mixes a lot in my lifetime. Some weeks we still do......

just ask, tell her she make more in foodstamps, maybe bring some sometimes
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

There is no shame on asking. As for the neice, if she were at home this summer her parents would be feeding her so there is some way I am sure they could contribute something for her food/care this summer......
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Why does it have to be awkward? Tell her that you enjoy her company but cannot afford to feed the both of you.
    Daniel

maybe asking your niece's parents to contribute something. also, at 15 she can start working part time to earn some of her own money. it'll help to teach her priorities etc.

and when your friend comes over and isnt helping you out just remind her "hey, i only have enough food for my family, please bring something with you if you want to eat." or limit how much time she spends at your house.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/