Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding on Amtrak

Riding on Amtrak

I am possibly going on a long Amtrak ride but the people on the phone don't seem to know any details about the trains. I sure would like as many details as I can get before buying tickets because it's a 4 day ride each way. My main question is about going to the bathroom. I'd be good doing my program on a bed if that is what is in the cabins, but a little stall with a disabled sign on it has never worked for me as I can't transfer and turn 90 degrees at the same time in those little stalls you cant turn sideways in and the toilet is in front of your knees, I can only transfer to the side.

Thanks!

i've only ridden the train from my town to philly and the accessible stalls are HUGE. your best bet is prolly to go to the train station and ask there. wish i could be more of help!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=137509

You can use the search function to find more threads about Amtrak.

I found this on-line.

The lower right corner shows the toilet position on a Superliner or Viewliner. The window is over the lower bed, which folds up during the day.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-16-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Here is a photo of the bathroom area:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveler...n/photostream/

(KLD)

Thanks for finding all the photos, KLD. We now live about 30 minutes from an Amtrak Station that has the Empire Builder pass through each day. It's a 5 day from Chicago to Seattle. Nice to see the actual cabins because I've only see sketches so far. There is one problem still with these if you can't walk. To get to the dining cars you have to wait for a stop, get off-go to the diner, and get on. Then reverse when you're done. If this is old info and someone has newer please share. Nice to see the newer large shower for wheelers. I understand there may still be a few dual use toilet/shower in accessible cabins out there too. We're checking into seeing a few national parks this way down the road if stops are near enough.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

What could be recommended for a portable toilet cushion comparable with bowl program?
    SW
    "We are fools whether we dance or not - so we might as well dance."
    Japanese proverb

Amtrak gives people with disabilities, and companion, a discount on tickets but you have to pay in person at a station. You can call and have tickets held, but not good for online orders. A few years ago it was either a 10 or 15% discount.

They will also let you order off the menu for dining or snack car and deliver to your seat or sleeper car. I found that easier because you got meals when you wanted, not when there were open spaces left to pick from for seating.

I rode Amtrak for 36 hours AZ to Chicago. I didn't get a sleeper car, just slept in the seat. The accessible stalls in reguar car were huge. I could spin around in my chair in them...almost more floor space then my bathroom at home.

It's only 46 hours to Seattle! Good thing because it seems everything I heard about accessible showers is wrong. I was surprised to see it stops right in or at the entrance to Glacier National Park. This year there are specials that have rangers come aboard and explain the history of the different parks with the railroads. This just might be doable.

I was lucky enough to have one of my Grandmother's take me from Chicago to NOLA on the City of New Orleans just after Amtrak stencils went on the trains. The song was my experience including staying up late to read in the Club Car drinking bitter lemons and listening to the porters playing cards after all the other passengers went off to sleep. I think I was 14 that year. The next year she took my younger brother to Philadelphia and Boston on the train. He loved it since he saw all the history he was learning in school as they stayed in each city for a few days.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.