Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freewheel and emotions?

Freewheel and emotions?

Anyone know if you can use the freewheel on a chair with emotions? I have a Q7 and used the freewheel quite a bit. My new chair is an Aero Z with emotions.

You can, and it is a great combo. I've used my freewheel with XTender wheels for over a year.

Yes, I have many customers reporting how well the combo works. A FreeWheel seems to really enhance the benefits of the emotions, wijits and magic wheels. Also, the new ZX-1 electric assist with a FreeWheel is getting rave reviews.

Pat

I agree with Pat, my Freewheel puts the ZX on a whole new level in rougher terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    Yes, I have many customers reporting how well the combo works. A FreeWheel seems to really enhance the benefits of the emotions, wijits and magic wheels. Also, the new ZX-1 electric assist with a FreeWheel is getting rave reviews.

Pat
    If the user can not push evenly on both pushrims of emotion wheels, the FreeWheel may not work well on surfaces that don't provide a fairly high amount of resistance (e.g. paved sidewalks).

I worked with a a C5 quad and longtime emotion user who tried the FreeWheel on his chair in our clinic. The smooth floor combined with the FreeWheel's single, larger diameter, wheel created very low rolling resistance, he had difficulty maintaining a straight path during propulsion and there was a significant amount of yaw.

The experience taught me something about how much of an effect rolling resistance from the front casters dampens out differences in push stroke forces between right and left.

Unfortunately, we didn't have time to go outside with it to see if this effect was eliminated on paved surfaces (which have a higher coefficient of friction). I'm suspecting that it would, but I had enough uncertainty that I wouldn't feel comfortable prescribing one for this individual until I could rule out the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I agree with Pat, my Freewheel puts the ZX on a whole new level in rougher terrain.
    Has it ever popped off on you running steady over rough terrain?

Mine came off once descending a small hill, at a decent clip.

I suspect it was the shaking chair on the way down, rattled it loose somehow, or I kicked the release with my foot.

I dunno.

I've snugged it up so tight it's quite hard to clamp on, now!

No issues since.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Mine has only come off when I have accidently hit the release with my foot. Even then it didn't just fall iff. It got a bit wibble-wobbly and off-center, I just quickly repositioned it and clamped it down again. I go really fast on the downhills at the mountain (on purpose) and feel completely confident that nothing too terrible will happen. Going up really steep roads I will hold onto the bumper of the ski patrol truck and they will just pull me. No Problem, If they go to fast, I just let go. Pat is probably gonna have a heart attack that I use it like this I just love the thing and use it EVERY day. I don't even consider it an accesory any more.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Quote Originally Posted by aidan416 View Post
    Mine has only come off when I have accidently hit the release with my foot. Even then it didn't just fall iff. It got a bit wibble-wobbly and off-center, I just quickly repositioned it and clamped it down again. I go really fast on the downhills at the mountain (on purpose) and feel completely confident that nothing too terrible will happen. Going up really steep roads I will hold onto the bumper of the ski patrol truck and they will just pull me. No Problem, If they go to fast, I just let go. Pat is probably gonna have a heart attack that I use it like this I just love the thing and use it EVERY day. I don't even consider it an accesory any more.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I have a ti aero z w/ emotions. freewheel puts too much dump in my chair when I roll outside I get too tippy and its really easy to tip, luckily i have the anti tippers. But it adds so much dump that even pushing my arms hit the push handles because i'm so inclined back
    I also have a friend that has the same problem using another ti w/ spinergies
    Last edited by Mac85; 06-16-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Mac85 - how much dump does your chair have without the freewheel? I think we ordered mine with 2 inches.

QUOTE=Mac85;1544042]I have a ti aero z w/ emotions. freewheel puts too much dump in my chair when I roll outside I get too tippy and its really easy to tip, luckily i have the anti tippers. But it adds so much dump that even pushing my arms hit the push handles because i'm so inclined back
    I also have a friend that has the same problem using another ti w/ spinergies[/QUOTE]