Thread: For all handcyclists out there?

For all handcyclists out there?

Ok, I'm happy with my strength improvments, as well as my progress for my overall fitness goals & would like to start hand cycling however There seems to be no one else in my area into hand cycling (which seems strange to me since the Black Hills are a biking destination). So here is my question: how did everyone get started? Especially those who ride in areasd w/o active adaptive sports communities? Who do you get to help you ride ( I'm a c5/c6)? Any help/ ideas you can give would be great.

Hey KS, Way to go on wanting to handcycle. I've been handcycling for over 36 years now. My first one was handbuilt by a frame maker locally and have had too many to count since then.

John Squires would be a great contact regarding handcycles for quads. jpsquires@att.net[/email] <jpsquires@att.net>.

YOu'll be very pleased with the results and strength you'll get from handcycling.

I bought one of Mark B's Roadrace Power pods to put on the back of my bike to go further and faster. It's allowed me to ride with high caliber cyclists at their pace. It's nice to be able to draft for them for a change and have them tell me to slow down.lol It woulkd really be beneficial to ride the Black Hills with.

If you go to topendwheelchair.com they have a thing where you type in your zip and it gives the closest locations where you might be able to find a test ride, that's what I did. I have a test ride next week. Look for everything you can on hand cycles on the web, particularly forum posts. Also, spend a couple evenings on YouTube, lots of videos you can learn from.

I joined a handcycle club at a rehab center near where I live. A kind member here gave me the number. They lend you the equipment to try and use during the 'clinic' and then I guess if you want to continue you would have to buy one. He told me there are grant programs where you can get one at least partially paid for, but I think I am over the income requirement. As far as riding with someone outside of that monthly club, I don't know. If anyone is in the Tampa Fla area and wants to cycle with me, send me a message!

Oh, this is a good site. http://bike-on.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DigeeRN View Post
    I joined a handcycle club at a rehab center near where I live. A kind member here gave me the number. They lend you the equipment to try and use during the 'clinic' and then I guess if you want to continue you would have to buy one. He told me there are grant programs where you can get one at least partially paid for, but I think I am over the income requirement. As far as riding with someone outside of that monthly club, I don't know. If anyone is in the Tampa Fla area and wants to cycle with me, send me a message!

Oh, this is a good site. http://bike-on.com/
    I live in Venice Winters, I'd like to try the Pinellas path in Tampa next fall or you could come to try the intercoastal path in Venice. Do you play Tennis at all? We are looking for more Tennis players, not many in Southwest Florida it seems, I play mostly with one guy from Bradenton.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I only recently started riding a handcycle (2-3 months ago). I recently turned 50 and wanted to increase my cardio workouts, NOT to race. In my research, I found that the praise for the Freedom Ryder cycles was just about universal, so it was really a matter of choosing between the FRH-1 and LC-1. The fun factor of the LC-1's lean-steer was just too much to resist. I'm an above the knee amputee and have full core strength, and while I was apprehensive at first about the reported learning curve, the lean steer just felt incredibly natural from the get-go. There is no more fun than carving turns with a lean-steer on a winding road.

I've since added a PowerPod for those uphill climbs (I found out the hard way that handcycles and hills don't mix) -- many, many hills where I live in Southern California. I mostly ride with able bodied friends and other riders, but will occasionally ride with other handcyclists from local rehab centers (affiliated with research universities).

We have a few Class I trails (bikers, joggers only, no cars), and I've started to meet the regulars at those trails, mostly able-bodied riders.

I'd say just get out there on the roads and trails and you'll start to see familiar faces who may become riding buddies. Also, sign up for rides that are generally advertised for able-bodied riders, since there are usually a few handcyclists that join.